What To Do With Freezer Compartment Of Refrigerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eteo

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a 2nd fridge to ferment and store beer. I will be controlling the temperature to 20 degrees C with a temperature controller. However, I am uncertain what to do with the freezer compartment above. Seems a bit of a wasted space because temperatures are too cold for storing or fermenting any beer. What do you guys use it for?

Thanks in advance.

Store your hop pellets in there.

and if SWMBO has anything to do with it, bread and peas <_<

It never freezes if you have the temp in the fridge at 18-20c, it just gets very cold. I stick my bottles in the ferm fridge for 1-2 weeks after bottling, from there they get stored in the freezer section, i can fit about 3 cases worth of longnecks in there :)

Hmmmm, getting a fridge to keep the beer at 20C seems to me like a waste of a good lager fermentation fridge! I can see how the freezer won't keep stuff frozen if the fridge is forced to work at the hot end of it's range...In that case, perhaps it's better to buy a dead fridge and simply use the unit to keep the bottles at an even temp - like a giant empty esky? At 20C, the fridge won't be any good to store yeast in either...so I'd think carefully before spending money on a fridge to keep beer at 20C...
Cheers,
TL

dday mates

Im storing frozen wort in bags (say yeast food) in the freezer compartment, also all of my hops.

Cheers

Is it possible to temp control the freezer independently of the fridge?

Hmmmm, getting a fridge to keep the beer at 20C seems to me like a waste of a good lager fermentation fridge! I can see how the freezer won't keep stuff frozen if the fridge is forced to work at the hot end of it's range...In that case, perhaps it's better to buy a dead fridge and simply use the unit to keep the bottles at an even temp - like a giant empty esky? At 20C, the fridge won't be any good to store yeast in either...so I'd think carefully before spending money on a fridge to keep beer at 20C...
Cheers,
TL

Hi again, sorry for not telling the full story... I will be using the fridge for fermenting and storing beer. Thats why I want to keep it at 20 degrees. Thanks for the suggestions!

20C isn't a waste in summer, it's very useful.

You can also use your freezer for a glycerol-solution yeast bank.

i've just found out that ~12C in my fridge = -1C in the freezer.

Back