What The Hell Is That In My Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonez

Reaction score
Anyway, I opened one of this 500 ml bottles when I finished mowing the lawn today as finally the sun shined after five or six days of rain. Drank it all and did not taste anything wrong with it, but just when I had finished it, I discovered this spot in the bottom of the bottle. -oh my &*^%$ am I drinking a fungus colony?.. Shook the little bit of beer/yeast left in the bottle as energetically as possible but am not able to get rid of this. I think I am going to take a sample with a "piece of Chinese cutlery"

Hope it is yeast clumped together.

edit: of course I needed to attach the photos.

fungus_003.jpg

fungus_004.jpg

Is that actually a bottle of Polish beer or one of yours re-bottled in the empty Polish 500 ml? If the latter then how do you rinse / clean your bottles? could be a mould colony if you left the original bottle dirty for a while before bottling.

If original Polish beer it's probably just some Chernobyl radioactive waste residue. :beerbang:

Is that actually a bottle of Polish beer or one of yours re-bottled in the empty Polish 500 ml? If the latter then how do you rinse / clean your bottles? could be a mould colony if you left the original bottle dirty for a while before bottling.

If original Polish beer it's probably just some Chernobyl radioactive waste residue. :beerbang:

very funny.
A friend of mine collected them for me at a social gathering. I was surprised he rinsed them all. I also washed them with dishwashing liquid and a bottle brush. them soaked them with sanitasing solution (bleach)

I was trying to get the thing off, but could not reach it with the longest object in my kitchen. Did not want to use the bottle brush to not to break it. Anyway I poured a bit of bleach inside the bottle and gave it a gentle shake. The thing came off but: it did not smell anything (maybe the bleach killed them?) and it looked and felt like bit of paper, or bread crust. I am not sure how that thing got there.

edit:eek:h noo! I already started to feel some weird pain on my throat.. hahahaha :D :D :D

Just guessing but from my experience with euro imports, you can sometimes end up with a protien breakdown and settling in the bottom of the bottle. Nothing really to worry about. Those proteins that you see are usually the ones that stick together with haze forming tannins, hence the reason why you dont see them in a good bottle.

Just guessing but from my experience with euro imports, you can sometimes end up with a protien breakdown and settling in the bottom of the bottle. Nothing really to worry about. Those proteins that you see are usually the ones that stick together with haze forming tannins, hence the reason why you dont see them in a good bottle.

just to clarify. This is my own beer I bottled on the Polish empties. Yeast 2206. Lager kit. As I said I thought I had washed the bottles very well.

Not well enough by the looks. A flush out of the bottles with some boiling kettle water before bottling will kill of any mold spores that may be lurking in there.
Glad I dont bottle any more :icon_vomit:

Not well enough by the looks. A flush out of the bottles with some boiling kettle water before bottling will kill of any mold spores that may be lurking in there.
Glad I dont bottle any more :icon_vomit:

Yeah, I also did that. Always rinse them with boiling water from the kettle. I think this is some sort of debris,, maybe from the kettle? that got there just before bottling. Was like a brown scale and cracked in my fingers.

Back