What Should I Call This Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmut

Reaction score
Just finished a 4 hour brew session last night. Spent 2 hours boiling up a new extract brew, then while it was cooling, bottled my version of Neil's Centenarillo ale, then scooped some of the yeast cake out of the fermenter and attempted a yeast wash for the first time (We'll see how that turns out).
Then ptiched the cooled wort onto the rest of the yeast cake and sealed her up. Was bubbling away nicely this morning when I left for work. I wonder how she'll turn out.

Looking for a good name for this brew:

2kg Coopers LDME
250g Caramel Malt (Steeped)
500g Dextrose
30g Southern Cross Pellets (13.2%AA) @40mins
15g Southern Cross Pellets (13.2%AA) @15mins
15g Cascade (Plug) (7.0%AA) @15mins
15g Cascade (Plug) (7.0%AA) @0mins
Pitched onto Centenarillo Yeast Cake (Nottingham)
23L

Southern Cascade Marathon Ale?

Who's got a good imagination.

Cheers,

Leon

Anything you like - it can't hear you!

(sorry <_< )

Ok, how about ... no, I like Southern Star actually.

From the looks of the recipe, I'd call it "Good"!! :icon_chickcheers:

Haven't worked out how to use that calculation spreadsheet yet so didn't work out the bitterness first. Just wanted to try a different hop combo and see how it went.

I like what I'm hearing.

Maybe "Helmut's Cascading Southern Star Ale"

Not sure if I want to write that on all the labels though, will end up with RSI! :icon_chickcheers:

What was your OG? I've punched your recipe into BrewPal and it has estimated OG at 1.041. If it finishes at 1.011 it'll give you 3.9% ABV.

If you did a full volume boil then you're going to end up with around 50 IBU's of bitterness...that's a lot for a mid-strength beer. Could be that it's perfect for your tastes, if it was me I'd boil another kilo of LDME in a litre of the beer, cool it under glad wrap and throw it into the fermenter - then you could call it 'Adulterated'.

What was your OG? I've punched your recipe into BrewPal and it has estimated OG at 1.041. If it finishes at 1.011 it'll give you 3.9% ABV.

If you did a full volume boil then you're going to end up with around 50 IBU's of bitterness...that's a lot for a mid-strength beer. Could be that it's perfect for your tastes, if it was me I'd boil another kilo of LDME in a litre of the beer, cool it under glad wrap and throw it into the fermenter - then you could call it 'Adulterated'.

I get almost 50 IBU from the 40 minute SC addition alone. He might like mouth-puckering brews, but it's gonna end up about 70 IBUs, and that's a bitter beer without some serious maltiness backing it up.

OG including suspended yeast was 1040. Did a 5L boil. I usually drink the SG samples but the OG one was really cloudy and it was 11:30pm so I just chucked it. Will take a sample tonight and if it is bitter as hell I'll add some more unbittered wort I think.

OG including suspended yeast was 1040. Did a 5L boil. I usually drink the SG samples but the OG one was really cloudy and it was 11:30pm so I just chucked it. Will take a sample tonight and if it is bitter as hell I'll add some more unbittered wort I think.

My extract brews never seem to get to the bitterness levels predicted, I think because the FG is often quite high and masks the bitterness.

I get almost 50 IBU from the 40 minute SC addition alone. He might like mouth-puckering brews, but it's gonna end up about 70 IBUs, and that's a bitter beer without some serious maltiness backing it up.

Crikey! Maybe I should call it "Theresanentirelemoninmymouth Bitter" or "Shouldadonemoreresearchbeforeexperimenting Ale"

:chug:

Crikey! Maybe I should call it "Theresanentirelemoninmymouth Bitter" or "Shouldadonemoreresearchbeforeexperimenting Ale"

:chug:

Well I only get 41.6 IBU plugging it into IanH's XL file?

OG 1.043
FG 1.009
ABV 4.7% bottled at 2.3 vols

Latest posts

Back