What Is Your Usual Effiency?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your usual effiency?

• <50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-60%

• 61-70%

• 71-80%

• 81-90%

• 91-100%

• Total voters

Sammus

Amateur Brewer
Reaction score
batch or fly I dont care.

I got 70 once, 75 once, and all my others seem to be about 50-55% :angry: I can't figure it out. just want to know if others are in my boat...

75% every time - Batch sparge, 36 Ltr Keep Cold mash tun with stainless false bottom.

Ive got a converted keg with a stainless false bottom. Just tried batch sparging again (Everyone else seems to go alright with it) and I ended up with 23L of 1.072 from 11Kg of grain :angry: my lowest yet (51%) batch sparge in the past has at least got me to the high 60s. I'm almost certain it's nothing to do with crush. I'm just being unco somehow... I even do super huge sparges to try and rinse that little extra bit of sugar out then boil it all down over 120min and it still doesnt help... so frustrating!

When I used to brew 10 gallon batches in two coolers (5 gallons in each), I'd get 70% pretty much every time. Now that I have a HERMS, I get 85%.

I presently employ a kind of odd procedure involving two batch sparges. I dough in with my strike water, mash at whatever temperatures/times I want, then bring the lot up to mash out (approx 77C). I then drain that wort into my kettle. When that runoff is complete, I infuse my lauter water and then recirculate until the works hits mash out again. Then I stop recirculating and drain that.

When I mashed in the coolers, I'd dough in with my strike water, then add boiling water to get up to mash out. I'd then immediately add a little water @77C to the mash tun, and drain the entire works at once. Just a big batch sparge really.

It's important no matter what sparge technique you use (batch or fly) to either really mix the grain and water well (through recirculation) or gently rake/stir the top 30 - 40% of the grain bed to destroy channels. Another really important step is to not rush the procedure. High extraction also requires time - drain slowly - 1 litre every 60 - 90 seconds or so.

I was pushing mid to high 70's for a while, when I was sparging until I reached full preboil volume, but have since been sparging less (and topping up with fresh water) in search of better beer. Low-mid 60's are now common, with the occasional 50 something.

Sammus,

Are you measuring your extract efficiency or your total system eff??

ie; are you talking about what gets from your mash tun to your kettle OR what actually gets into your fermentor?

It can make a significant difference to the figures. But then again, that 11kg of grain makes it look like you are talking about extract eff.

BTW, I'm @ 78% for batch sparge brews and 80-90% for BIAB (extract efficiency)

Thirsty

I batch & get 85% brewhouse efficiency on a standard 5% brew. This increases to low 90's on a mid strength & drops accordingly on my high alc brews.
Basically 5kg of grain gives me 26L of 5% beer after the boil.

Cheers Ross

You left out the "don't care" option.
My recipes give me between 20 and 22 litres of wort from around 5.5kg of grain that an FG of between 5 and 6 percent. That's all I bother with, I never scrutinise my efficiency.

I'm happy because i don't care (no button for that option though)
I honestly wouldn't have a clue what efficiency i'm getting :)

i got about 40litres of 1.052 of wort from 10kgs grain on the weeknd, no idea what that equates too.

I batch sparge and was cosistently getting 70%, I have just recently changed my malt supplier from Powells to Cryer and I am now getting (from my last 2 brews) 83%, mind you I am also continuously recirculating through my herms as well now.

Cheers
Andrew

Batch sparge ~ 75% efficiency. Used to fly sparge by hand. It was a pain to have to be there continually scooping water into the lauter tun, so I went to batch sparging.
My efficiency dropped about 2-3% only.

I think there are several variables that influence efficiency other than batch vs. fly. Grind and design of mash / lauter tun (deadspace) as well as wort lost to trub/hops play a big part.

My efficiency is always higher with pellets than whole hops. Is this usual?

MFS

I batch sparge and was cosistently getting 70%, I have just recently changed my malt supplier from Powells to Cryer and I am now getting (from my last 2 brews) 83%, mind you I am also continuously recirculating through my herms as well now.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew,
do you think it's the malt change or the extra control over the mash?
BTW: I could never get Powells on 70% and I tried everything apart from cracking every corn by hand..

Luke

Fly sparge, 36L cylinder cooler with copper slotted manifold - never lower than 70% and as high as 75%.

FYI - Talking with Brennan from Burleigh Brewing couple of weeks back - he hits 94% with his 50HL setup.

Cheers,
Michael :)

I consistently get mid to high 80's, batch sparge.

A lot of the credit, imo, goes to my ' T Piece ' Mani which is here.

Cheers

Infusion and Batch Sparging, normally 70-75%. Using Maris Otter I can get up to 80-85%.

However, brewed a HefeWeizen on Saturday and gave decoction a go. Had planned for a double decoction, but ended up being a 5 - step decoction as I kept going under my temperature steps.

Was aiming for 1052, but got 1070 from 5.3kg grain, a 96% efficiency!

On my big setup (75l boiler) the comparative volume of my dunk sparge is lower than on my small setup (20l boiler). This is reflected in the extraction efficiencies of each which I use as part of my process because I am brewing to gravities and IBUs as opposed to volumes and spend some of my brewday playing with the numbers. (I hope that doesn't read as though I am being rude.)

It's high 70s for the big boiler and mid-high 80s in the small boiler, depending (as Ross points out) on what I'm brewing.

I reckon I lose a total of 1-1.5 litres to trub, yeast and my own dickheadery across the whole process, which would bring both those numbers down to less impressive brewhouse efficiencies.

No idea on my efficiency. No desire to learn how to work it out. Producing bloody nice beer. Im happy.
Cheers
Steve

Back