What Is You 'house Beer' In The Winter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been playing around with a Landlord clone since i started AG all of 8 months ago. Pretty happy with the recipe now so i reckon it will be my house beer.

Loved it when living in the north of england where the summers were not that different from the Adelaide Hills winters...... :lol:

Could drink an ESB in +40 or 40 below i reckon. Nectar of the gods.

Probably stout but then again I tend to make enough that i have it on tap all year round.

Not always the same recipe but always an Oktoberfest.

I love the malty German Lagers in the colder weather.

C&B
TDA

Wazza's 3 Shades of Stout and T.D's Amber Ale

Got to love these beers while eating a Guiness pie or the sorts :icon_drool2:

Rook

Munich helles all year round here. Nice and crisp lager, good with most meals and occaisons.

I tend to also enjoy octoberfest beer in the winter, and if in the mood a stout or good schwarztbier.

Been playing around with a Landlord clone since i started AG all of 8 months ago. Pretty happy with the recipe now so i reckon it will be my house beer.

Any chance of a look at the recipe? Promise I won't tell anybody. :lol:

My Autumn/Winter brew schedule was decided whilst reading Jamil's "Brewing Classic Styles" two days ago.

Thanks to Ross/Josh, I have just received ingredients for Jamil's ESB, Alt and Dry Stout. :beerbang:

No worries mate, its no secret!

Got some advice from wessmith regarding the extra maltiness that Landlord has and the lack of floor malted barley here. The munich seems to give it a lift. Colour isnt right for landlord but thats the least important part IMHO. Got the 1469 off TDA.

3.75 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 92.59 %
0.30 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 7.41 %
45.00 gm Fuggles [4.40 %] (60 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.70 %] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs TTL (Wyeast #1469) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

20L - OG 1.044, IBU 35.6, EBC 9.6

Mashed in at 65, mash out 78.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Mine is definately some form or incarnation if you will of Hackney Bitter.
(here's one of my first, First Gold versions! its the only hackney recipe i have at hand)
i've had to change my recipe quite a bit from this now, as i'm using mostly bairds spec malts and i dont use GP anymore either (tis funny looking back on old recipes, especially of an often brewed beer)

Hackney 45
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 22/04/2007
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter Brewer: Dowdy
Batch Size: 27.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 31.60 L Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 % Equipment: KoNG's Brury
Actual Efficiency: 69.4 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
4000.00 gm Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 82.5 %
300.00 gm Amber Malt (Joe White) (45.3 EBC) Grain 6.2 %
200.00 gm Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (216.7 EBC) Grain 4.1 %
200.00 gm Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 4.1 %
100.00 gm Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 2.1 %
50.00 gm Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 1.0 %
20.00 gm Northdown [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 18.8 IBU
18.50 gm First Gold [7.70%] (25 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
20.00 gm First Gold [7.70%] (5 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
4.00 gm Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
8.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.039 SG (1.040-1.048 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.039 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.010 SG (1.008-1.012 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Color: 22.5 EBC (9.9-31.5 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 28.0 IBU (25.0-40.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 1.5 AAU

Hmm, very interesting, good Doctor. Looks good. I still have a vial of 1469. Not sure if it's still viable, but I might have to find out. Thanks for sharing. :D

Great thread!
Cheers for the TTLA recipe DrS. I think Marris Otter is the right choice - GP was far too light and thin in my attempted clone. Will have to add your recipe to the "to do" list. (Not sure if my 1469 has survived a year in the fridge - will soon see!)

This winter will be Warren's 4-shades of Stout, and a nice 7% Bock (both sitting at 4deg waiting to be tapped!).

Great thread!
Cheers for the TTLA recipe DrS. I think Marris Otter is the right choice - GP was far too light and thin in my attempted clone. Will have to add your recipe to the "to do" list. (Not sure if my 1469 has survived a year in the fridge - will soon see!)

This winter will be Warren's 4-shades of Stout, and a nice 7% Bock (both sitting at 4deg waiting to be tapped!).
Hutch,

I froze the sample of 1469 I had (cheers kirem) when I turned the lagering fridge down in temp at the beginning of summer last year.
I had told Dr S I would give him some but on finding it frozen I thought it would be knackered. I let it defrost and pitched it into a small 100ml starter as a "lets see if it is viable still test". 2 weeks later it started to show a small krausen on top of the starter, I kept stepping it up and as Dr S has stated, it has worked for him and I have used it 3 times this year with great results. Hopefully yours is still ok. It is a brilliant yeast IMHO!

C&B
TDA

Goatherder gave me a vial of it to try and i just pitched into a starter last night. Its on the TASP and starting to show signs of life.

Does anyone have specs on the yeast........... and would it be good in a porter and stout?

cheers

Edit...... never mind, found it

Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale
From a well-known and highly regarded brewery in Keighley, West Yorkshire, England. Full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Bright beers easily achieved within days without filtration. For production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ale.
Alcohol tolerance approximately 9% ABV.
Flocculation: High.
Apparent Attenuation: 67-71% (64-72 F, 18-22 C)

Does anyone have specs on the yeast........... and would it be good in a porter and stout?

cheers

Without a doubt, just finished a keg of Porter with this yeast( well actually, the Mrs just finished the keg, she loved it!).
Have a Brown Ale going with it now and will be brewing a stout with it next.

C&B
TDA

I thought TTL had golden syrup in it??? Or am I getting mixed up with something else?

Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale
From a well-known and highly regarded brewery in Keighley, West Yorkshire, England. Full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Bright beers easily achieved within days without filtration. For production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ale.
Alcohol tolerance approximately 9% ABV.
Flocculation: High.
Apparent Attenuation: 67-71% (64-72 F, 18-22 C)

That really sounds yummy... is it readily available i've never seen it at any suppliers?

Reading through this thread is making my mouth water, even though I'm really hungover. Had a work function on last night and Golden Ale was included in the tab. Happy days, although not as happy today, and not a very productive day either.

Some really nice sounding beers in here.

I don't have a dedicated house Winter beer as such, but I always plan to have something big and "Wintery" on tap for the cooler months. Last year it was an IPA, this year I have a Southern English Brown, upped the alc to 6%, so not really to style. Tasting fantastic out of the fermenter, and should be ready to keg this weekend, then I'll be tipping my ESB on the yeast cake.

Back