What Is You 'house Beer' In The Winter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I just love a nice ESB during the Autumnal and Winter months and perhaps even the Spring , Hell and if it is a not a real Summer (well in NSW)then too.

Its always on tap well nearlyalways, that would be my 'House beer '!!

Whats yours ????

Pumpy :)

Ps please excuse the poor spellers I am doing a Tony to try and attract attention

My foreign extra stout is my most commonly made winter beer. Though each time I have made it there has been a different recipe, because I love tinkering with it. In fact, part of me thinks it doesn't fit in the style any more- I don't care, though.

House beer is a foreign concept to me, I just can't seem to brew the same thing over again, there are just to many styles and variations I just have to try.
However, an ESB always is good any time of year.

Cheers
BB

I like a good Chocolate Porter or Stout with a high alc/vol for over winter its not that their a great session beer they just seem to go well over the colder months.

Lagers in winter. Can't cap ale temps in the fridge when its cold. Good time for a Bock

Weizenbock from previous years. Age quite nicely, almost port-like at times, perfect night cap.

my English county bitter is a bloody good drop, goes particularly well with a ringburner curry :super:

I aways have a Pilsner on tap all year round. But come winter I always have a nice easy Stout and a Choc Porter. The last few years I have been doing Belgian Dubbell and Strong Golden Ales for winter but this year I will try Doc Session Ale and Ross's Carbrook Ale for a lighter change.
But a the moment I have a CAP (corn) CAP (Rice) Stout and a Premium Pilsner (yum) 10% Melanoidin and Pils Malt with Tettnag all the way through.

Steve

Hey this is sounding like a great thread... To appease the nosy-parker in me can you blokes post the recipes with the relevant beers? B)

At present I don't have a regular favourite. I do steer towards a good bitter, mild, porter or stout though. :icon_cheers:

All favourites of this style most welcome!

Warren -

Check out mt Choc Porter recipe in the Under-attenuated beer thread, it's a cracker.

Steve

Always summer up here B)

Can honestly say I don't go with the dark beers in winter, lager/wheats in summer theory. I enjoy a guiness just as much on a warm day as a cold one. Maybe it's because i don't like drinking any of my beers ice cold, which would be the only reason for not drinking a light beer on a cold day. Also, bars in my experience are often warmer in the winter with the heating on than in the summer with airconditioning on, & our house isn't much different :)

cheers Ross

hmm i agree with Boiler Boy... i havnt brewed the same thing twice yet! however that said i do have a Strong oatmeal stout and a dopplebock on the cards for winter!

I aways have a Pilsner on tap all year round. But come winter I always have a nice easy Stout and a Choc Porter. The last few years I have been doing Belgian Dubbell and Strong Golden Ales for winter but this year I will try Doc Session Ale and Ross's Carbrook Ale for a lighter change.
But a the moment I have a CAP (corn) CAP (Rice) Stout and a Premium Pilsner (yum) 10% Melanoidin and Pils Malt with Tettnag all the way through.

Steve
The best I can come up with (from my brew records) as a fave Winter beer is, oddly enough, an Arrogant ******* clone.

Here's my latest recipe for a strong Winter ale...

Arrogant ******* clone
Brew Type: All Grain
Style: Imperial American Brown Ale Brewer: Seth
Batch Size: 19.00 L
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 % Equipment: Les - Plastic 50 litre Esky and 45 litre S/S kettle

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.75 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.0 %
0.64 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (216.7 EBC) Grain 10.0 %
35.00 gm Chinook [12.50%] (60 min) Hops 49.6 IBU
15.00 gm Chinook [12.50%] (30 min) Hops 16.4 IBU
15.00 gm Chinook [12.00%] (5 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
15.00 gm Chinook [12.50%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.074 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Color: 35.9 EBC
Bitterness: 70.1 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 7.3 %

Is this what U wanted , Warren?

Les out :p

Pearls and Swine Porter is mine. It's become more swine than pearls now, under Scotty's tutelage.

House beer is a future concept for me as the kegs are yet to be fill.
But I definetly will aim at having a lager available and a dark ale like the Hobgoblin.
atm I suffering from a cold so brandy or whisky is the choice...

I am doing a Tony to try and attract attention

:eek: :rolleyes:

Used to be Bitters, porters stout ect but this year im going to explore Scotich ales, dark wheat beers and german lagers

cheers

Has it got a bit of greyhound in it? :lol:

Well i just put down a nice strong stout (coopers twocan, 1kg dark malt and s-04 with a couple extra bits) pretty much idential to one i brewed last year.

so simple yet so tasty.

would have liked to have had this brewed a while ago, but better late than never :p

Last year was Porter and will have some on tap this year as well. Love it.

This year I am really enjoying making lagers so probably some Bock

The ESB attenuated more than I wanted, at 6.2% it might be a winter warmer as well

Are you allowed 3 :unsure:

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

I have bitter on tap pretty much all year round.

Back