What Is This Goop On Top Of My Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicdog1

Reaction score
hi i bottled a canadian brew two weeks ago and found that some of my bottles have a layer of im guessing yeast on top?? im hoping its not an infection so i thought id ask the masters of the universe :) it only seems to be on a 10 or so bottles im used to seeing some sediment on the bottom of the bottles , is it just the sediment hasent fallen yet

IMG_2351.JPG

Are you sure your bottles were 1000 percent clean?

looks like infection to me, when you jiggle the bottle does the stuff kind of behave like a film on the surface? i.e. does it mix into the beer?

taking a closer look doesnt really seem to be mixing in kind of a film on the top still spose i should dump and burn these ones then?

Open it up smell it and taste it, you will know if it is infected.

in that case, i've had the same looking thing in the past, not sure what exactly it is (as in name of infection) - but it gave the beer a woody/earthen taste. If it tastes OK drink it, but maybe drink them quick while they taste good - i'd wait for more replies, I'm often dead wrong :)

Since it isn't all bottles perhaps blind taste test 1 dodgy looking bottle and 1 good looking bottle, might just end up being a self fulfilling prophesy otherwise.

I'm no He-Man but that looks like a pellicle to me

is pelllicle good or bad or normal ? some ales get it dont they?
this seems to be in all bottles some not as bad as others

Pellicle in bottle = not normal = bomb

Pellicle on top of wort when fermenting a sour ale = normal

okeydokey time to move the ammunition cheers!!

That's if it is a pellicle, but it looks highly probable.
I don't kow what the next best step would be as far as the beer is concerned but personally I would take explosive precautions.

That's if it is a pellicle, but it looks highly probable.
I don't kow what the next best step would be as far as the beer is concerned but personally I would take explosive precautions.

thanks guys just as well im off to US for 3 weeks would have been a nice welcome home :blink:

i had a simialr white ring round the top of my bottles on my last brew and my most recent one...noticed it after a couple of days after bottling..i use PET bottles, and it disappeared after a week so i just thought it was a bit of yeasty stuff...have bottle my lastest batch and used brand new PET bottles washed and sterilised and after a week the same thing is there...the one bottle that had a pre - used cap it has disappeared like the last batch but all the ones with new caps still have it...have tipped bottles upside down and this seems to got rid of most of it...i used us-05 yeast on both brews....was just wondering why this happens and what exactly it is and is it because of the different type of yeast....have only used kit yeast before
cheers

I also had something like that a few months ago. It came when i was using sugar for priming instead of carbo drops. I figured it was yeast that had got stuck there during carbonation, like a mini krausen, because they didn't taste off at all.

Maybe put them in a place where it doesn't matter if they explode, just in case. If they start getting mega carbobated and don't taste good, then throw them out. Sucha shame to tip beer, especially if theres nothing wrong with it.

I had to empty some infected bottles last weekend. The pressure in those things was insane!! The one that i tasted, when i was inscrewing the lid, popped off with such force that it cut my hand. A few blew up, i'm very surprised they all didn't!

i used carb drops on both brews...its been a week sence bottling and when squeezing PET bottles they still have some give in them like all other brews so far...they are in an old fridge on the patio so if any explode the misus wont go to ape at me...last lot i had in the wardrobe so was abit concerned

Hope you haven't just eaten but the following LINK has an interesting
collection of images of pellicles.

T.

Back