What is the world coming to?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toncils said:
Not to sound like a 'leftie', but it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest to hear the government subsidise sports so heavily to keep people from thinking about politics too much.
It certainly doesn't make you sound like a 'leftie', a slightly unhinged conspiracy theorist - may be :ph34r:

Feldon said:
Makes you think; What was the mindset of young men like before the advent of team sport? The answer might explain why we have no more Newtons, Shakespeares and Mozarts.

Organised team sport was embraced by governments (particularly the UK) as good preparation to get young men ready for army service, among other reasons (such as providing events to gamble on, and to subdue the masses from rising up against their masters).
Seriously, are you two reliving some repressed memories of being picked last in PE or something??
Inferring that organised sport is reducing our human intellect, or part of a secret agenda to sedate the masses and prepare them to be the pawns of war is simply ludicrous.
I've no love for either side of politics ATM but I can't imagine a more difficult job in the world, if the voting public all thought that activities which you supported for their amusement, happiness and health were only going to be interpreted as a way to manipulate.
:blink:

I like and play organised sport and I can still use my brain when voting. However they are implying, you are inferring.

jimi said:
It certainly doesn't make you sound like a 'leftie', a slightly unhinged conspiracy theorist - may be :ph34r:
Then you can call me one too, and happy to be considered as such. I agree with Toncils, for quite a while I've had the theory that govts are happy to fund and encourage a greater focus by the general populace on subsidising the growth of sports/stadiums etc, as one way to get a massive populationary backlash is to play with matters of a sporting nature. Yet they will introduce legislation which is related to matters of a social/community nature and these things slide through on the attitude of "she'll be right, someone else will do something about that". The romans had the collisseum with the gladiatorial contests as a drip feed of diversion for the masses. No different to the stadiums and top level 'competitions' of today, where TV decides what rules are enforced and how they are interpreted so as to better suit TV and the product they distribute electronically. And who's to say they don't subtly advise the NRL as to which teams would bring better advertising revenue come the final series. You draw your own conclusions as to how this plays out.

And what is in it for the govt. in funding construction/rebuilding of sporting stadiums? They take a cut of every dollar that YOU pass across the counter for a beer or pie. And all the sporting fans are reminded of how they saved the 'LOCAL' sporting team...of which there is no such ******* thing any more. These teams all have fans who are viewed, treated and marketed to as walking talking ATM's. And the best seats and spots in the stadiums go to CORPORATE ticket holders. Sporting teams at the highest level now are purely and simply vehicles for the generation of market share, brand recognition and profits.

And for the record, massive sports participant and fan here.

I'm inclined to agree. I don't think it's anything so sinister as a conspiracy so much as a keen awareness of how things like sport can distract the electorate. Much easier to bend someone over while they're busy watching the footy.

madpierre06 said:
Then you can call me one too, and happy to be considered as such. I agree with Toncils, for quite a while I've had the theory that govts are happy to fund and encourage a greater focus by the general populace on subsidising the growth of sports/stadiums etc, as one way to get a massive populationary backlash is to play with matters of a sporting nature. Yet they will introduce legislation which is related to matters of a social/community nature and these things slide through on the attitude of "she'll be right, someone else will do something about that". The romans had the collisseum with the gladiatorial contests as a drip feed of diversion for the masses. No different to the stadiums and top level 'competitions' of today, where TV decides what rules are enforced and how they are interpreted so as to better suit TV and the product they distribute electronically. And who's to say they don't subtly advise the NRL as to which teams would bring better advertising revenue come the final series. You draw your own conclusions as to how this plays out.

And what is in it for the govt. in funding construction/rebuilding of sporting stadiums? They take a cut of every dollar that YOU pass across the counter for a beer or pie. And all the sporting fans are reminded of how they saved the 'LOCAL' sporting team...of which there is no such ******* thing any more. These teams all have fans who are viewed, treated and marketed to as walking talking ATM's. And the best seats and spots in the stadiums go to CORPORATE ticket holders. Sporting teams at the highest level now are purely and simply vehicles for the generation of market share, brand recognition and profits.

And for the record, massive sports participant and fan here.
If your point is that sport is a business, then you'll get no argument from me, or I imagine anyone. However if you're questioning the motivation the government has for promoting organised sport, then let's be logical enough to use Ockham's razor. There are social, psychological, physiological, environmental, and finacial benefits for individuals and communities that come from being more active. Could they be the reasons why organised sport is promoted? Nah must be manipulate us, make us military ready, and less ready to revolt. Let's rage against the machine and stay on the sofa

Sport can be the life blood of a community. Especially small ones..

I would go as far as to say that the community feel and need of sport gets gradually lost as the size of the community increases

We are ruled by lizard men from another planet.

I love conspiracy doccos such as zeitgeist and almost anything on JFK, although taken with a grain of salt they are thought provoking.

Back to my original point, do people seriously enjoy "reality TV". At least watching sport they have an athletic ability to aspire to, not who can fart the alphabet the best on retards without talent with your host c grade celebrity .

Thankyou internet for unlimited knowledge and ad free tv!

End rant

Do people still bother watching reality Tv

I mean, why would you when we have AHB :ph34r:

jimi said:
If your point is that sport is a business, then you'll get no argument from me, or I imagine anyone. However if you're questioning the motivation the government has for promoting organised sport, then let's be logical enough to use Ockham's razor. There are social, psychological, physiological, environmental, and finacial benefits for individuals and communities that come from being more active. Could they be the reasons why organised sport is promoted? Nah must be manipulate us, make us military ready, and less ready to revolt. Let's rage against the machine and stay on the sofa

There's a difference between promoting organsised sport as you have stated, and pouring millions into the top tier stadiums which are used by organisations running teams on a purely business basis, which is all professional sport is these days. I would have rather seen the $280,000,000 which went into redeveloping Lang Park go into any number of sporting organisations around the state if your stated aim is to promote active lifestyles. And once the work was done, the local/state league was priced out of b eing able to use the stadium whereas previously there was a game there every weekend (and if I recall correctly I think there were 4 grades playing on the day). The Broncs were playing at another stadium and part of the deal to redevelop Lang Park was bringing the Broncos back there. A privately owned football team to a publicly funded stadium redevelopment. And when the Reds and Roar play their matches there, you get ONE bloody game, not a day at the footy as was previously the case when used by the local brisbane league comp. St least with the Broncs you get an under 20's game, and occasionally you may get a early game with the other codes.

Our govts are not interested one iota in anything to do with the multitude of benefits you stated when they pumps squillions into remodelling these massive edifices. It is all about business, yet dressed up as 'for the people'. Just ask the locals in Sydney, particulrly the western areas who are being driven to have their teams play out of one centralised stadium and the local ovals sold off to developers. That's a real boon for the community.

madpierre06 said:
That's a real boon for the community.
If you enjoy footy, that is.

http://youtu.be/8uK6SgXN1zA

The AFL is set to announce today that the final series commencing this week will be vegetarian- no pies.

davewalk said:
The AFL is set to announce today that the final series commencing this week will be vegetarian- no pies.
Took a while, but think I'm finally getting the 'cultural' references

madpierre06 said:
There's a difference between promoting organsised sport as you have stated, and pouring millions into the top tier stadiums which are used by organisations running teams on a purely business basis, which is all professional sport is these days. I would have rather seen the $280,000,000 which went into redeveloping Lang Park go into any number of sporting organisations around the state if your stated aim is to promote active lifestyles. And once the work was done, the local/state league was priced out of b eing able to use the stadium whereas previously there was a game there every weekend (and if I recall correctly I think there were 4 grades playing on the day). The Broncs were playing at another stadium and part of the deal to redevelop Lang Park was bringing the Broncos back there. A privately owned football team to a publicly funded stadium redevelopment. And when the Reds and Roar play their matches there, you get ONE bloody game, not a day at the footy as was previously the case when used by the local brisbane league comp. St least with the Broncs you get an under 20's game, and occasionally you may get a early game with the other codes.
This isn't an arguement against the promotion of organised sport, this is an arguement against the 'top down' method of promoting organised sport. It does make you sound more 'leftie', but that's not all bad :p . In regard to the debate between a 'grass roots' and a 'top down' model of promotion, I tend to agree with you that more should be done to serve the grass roots though.
madpierre06 said:
Our govts are not interested one iota in anything to do with the multitude of benefits you stated when they pumps squillions into remodelling these massive edifices.
Why would they not be interested in these benefits? These benefits create a healthier, happier, more socially connected, productive, and cleaner environment. Which of course saves them their "squillions" in return from not having to treat more lifestyle/physical illnesses, depression/mental illness, social disconnection, lost productivity / absenteeism and pollution etc. Why is it necessary to invent a conspiracy theory to explain why any government would want to invest in this? :huh:

cartoon.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
Do people still bother watching reality Tv

I mean, why would you when we have AHB :ph34r:
Isn't Home and Away reality TV ? Some peanuts I worked with had to watch it as if their lives depended on it.
Sad really.
Cheers...spog...

Yeah, plenty of different drugs to choose from these days.

Prince Imperial said:
I'm inclined to agree. I don't think it's anything so sinister as a conspiracy so much as a keen awareness of how things like sport can distract the electorate. Much easier to bend someone over while they're busy watching the footy.
What he said. I didn't imply or infer a conspiracy; the board of shadowy figures cackling over their own evil ingenuity. I brought up the left because in a discussion about both sports and intelligence it's easy to be labelled a 'lefty' and for your entire point of view to be discounted accordingly.

Sport isn't a cerebral past time. If the government wants to keep the populace both distracted and disinterested it isn't going to fund past times that flex intelligence. Imagine if we had stadium philosophy, broadcasted chess games, or some kind of 'concert hall'?
By this I'm certainly not saying sports equals stupidity; I am however saying it clearly isn't in the governments agenda to educate the people to their full potential.

In a perfect world more people would exercise their brain more, and I would exercise my body more.

toncils said:
What he said. I didn't imply or infer a conspiracy; the board of shadowy figures cackling over their own evil ingenuity. I brought up the left because in a discussion about both sports and intelligence it's easy to be labelled a 'lefty' and for your entire point of view to be discounted accordingly.

Sport isn't a cerebral past time. If the government wants to keep the populace both distracted and disinterested it isn't going to fund past times that flex intelligence. Imagine if we had stadium philosophy, broadcasted chess games, or some kind of 'concert hall'?
By this I'm certainly not saying sports equals stupidity; I am however saying it clearly isn't in the governments agenda to educate the people to their full potential.

In a perfect world more people would exercise their brain more, and I would exercise my body more.
I was going to post a response saying how much we spend on education compared to other developed countries, and so on. But I couldn't be bothered cos the beer I'm drinking is too nice

(And how stuffed is predictive typing when it insists on turning 'too nice'. Into 'too Bruce'?)

Back