What is the world coming to?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
As long as it isnt Manly, Storm, Bulldogs or any team from QLD
So, you're happy to see the Roosters win again this year.

And the Roosters....but if the play Manly and beat them, I would be happy with that..

I've watched TV this weekend for the first time in a while. I'm about to go out and buy a new phone, sign up at executive income.com, buy a jeep, drink some coke, try out for a talent show, sign up on dating sites, whatever else I'm told to do 50 times an hour. How do people watch this shit, I think I am going to be one cynical old man as I get older.

This is a perfect example of a conversion I had with an Australian who had been living in Frankfurt Germany for some time.

We were both sitting in the Australian consulate waiting for our turn to vote in the last Australian election when the topic turned to what I assumed was the upcoming local German election.

There were so many candidate bill boards around Frankfurt some almost looked like practical jokes, grown men holding pot plants ect I thought it was odd that tis is how one in Germany would gain votes.

On that comment he explained to me a very interesting view that has stuck with me for quite some time,

According to him, in Germany when they have a beer or a gathering the topic of conversation is generally a lot to do with politics, world views and the opinions of those getting together. I feel that here in Aus if you brought that up at a pub the music would stop and you'd be thrown out. He said that there were so many candidate signs because there were generally a lot of concerned individuals that actually form parties and have a crack. Almost everyone was passionate or at least informed about the political climate of their country or community that I talked to.

He said in comparison the Australian population usually don't care about the two main political parties and are generally ill informed by the various media misrepresentation. He went on to explain Australian conversations were almost always centered around sport. He even went to go as far as suggesting the government and media use sport as a nullifying tool to help distract the population a and keep them focused on trivial events.

This thread started with some pretty serious shit and within a few post lads going on about sporting clubs.

It's an interesting view point that continues to show some similarities. I think the front page in the work room paper yesterday was dedicated to AFL, not the wests failing political attempt to repel Putin from re-assembling the Russian empire or the ISIS troops turning the Middle east back a few hundred years.

Is rough numbers at the moment but appears that ISIS since June this year has killed 30,000 - 50,000. That's almost all 75,000 Collingwood supporters.

Maybe he's on to something.

Edit, thankfully ISIS may have killed much less around 2000. Possibly not enough collingwood supporters.

The Broncos ferreted them last week.

The rabbits that is.

elcarter said:
This is a perfect example of a conversion I had with an Australian who had been living in Frankfurt Germany for some time.

We were both sitting in the Australian consulate waiting for our turn to vote in the last Australian election when the topic turned to what I assumed was the upcoming local German election.

There were so many candidate bill boards around Frankfurt some almost looked like practical jokes, grown men holding pot plants ect I thought it was odd that tis is how one in Germany would gain votes.

On that comment he explained to me a very interesting view that has stuck with me for quite some time,

According to him, in Germany when they have a beer or a gathering the topic of conversation is generally a lot to do with politics, world views and the opinions of those getting together. I feel that here in Aus if you brought that up at a pub the music would stop and you'd be thrown out. He said that there were so many candidate signs because there were generally a lot of concerned individuals that actually form parties and have a crack. Almost everyone was passionate or at least informed about the political climate of their country or community that I talked to.

He said in comparison the Australian population usually don't care about the two main political parties and are generally ill informed by the various media misrepresentation. He went on to explain Australian conversations were almost always centered around sport. He even went to go as far as suggesting the government and media use sport as a nullifying tool to help distract the population a and keep them focused on trivial events.

This thread started with some pretty serious shit and within a few post lads going on about sporting clubs.

It's an interesting view point that continues to show some similarities. I think the front page in the work room paper yesterday was dedicated to AFL, not the wests failing political attempt to repel Putin from re-assembling the Russian empire or the ISIS troops turning the Middle east back a few hundred years.

Is rough numbers at the moment but appears that ISIS since June this year has killed 30,000 - 50,000. That's almost all 75,000 Collingwood supporters.

Maybe he's on to something.

Edit, thankfully ISIS may have killed much less around 2000. Possibly not enough collingwood supporters.

I think what wombil is trying to say is that this is not the thread and perhaps not the forum for any pseudo-intellectual political speak.

I stand by what I said earlier.

In your face Collingwood!

I do however notice a similarity between Aussie politics and AFL in that our political choices (each "side"), polarise the public into two opposing ideologies - much like the AFL where we see a "Collingwood vs The Rest of the World" paradigm.

us - them.jpg

elcarter said:

It's my understanding football/soccer/etc was really popular during the depression because it's such an easy and inexpensive past time. We've held onto that culture (for reasons beyond my comprehension). Not to sound like a 'leftie', but it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest to hear the government subsidise sports so heavily to keep people from thinking about politics too much. Worth mentioning that one of the last major election results was at the same time as a State of Origin game (was it Kevin 'VS' Abbott?)

What also shits me to tears is how footy breeds this 'us vs them' mentality; hating a person because they come from NSW is the same as racism (state-ism).. A game is no longer a game if people will beat up other people because their team won/lost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8CZXVFc-1E

Sorry if I paid the shit out of anyone. Not sorry if TISM paid the shit out of you.

Organised competitive team sport on a national scale has only existed for a few hundred years or so. Before that is was largely unheard of.

Makes you think; What was the mindset of young men like before the advent of team sport? The answer might explain why we have no more Newtons, Shakespeares and Mozarts.

Organised team sport was embraced by governments (particularly the UK) as good preparation to get young men ready for army service, among other reasons (such as providing events to gamble on, and to subdue the masses from rising up against their masters).

toncils said:
Sorry if I paid the shit out of anyone. Not sorry if TISM paid the shit out of you.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I Love TISM....so many great songs....so much subject matter
Thank fcuck for that. I dropped a TISM quote on this very forum the other day, and got tumbleweeds.

I began to despair for my lost youth...

(OT. Tumbleweeds, now there was another 90's throwback)

Dunno elcarter - went to a mate's last night with members of my futsal team and while organised sport featured in the conversation, there was at least as much time devoted to talking about politics, social issues and music. The OP referred to a few serious issues but not really in any depth
@moad- modern commercials are the ultimate test of sanity. I struggle to believe anyone with an IQ above 90 could be influenced in their spending habits by many of the TV ads around today.

Prince Imperial said:
AND Collingwood to miss the finals for the first time in 9 years. I'm just making up an "end of days" sandwich board.
Collingwood and Vegas, the only two places in the world where you can pay for sex in chips.

JDW81 said:
Collingwood and Vegas, the only two places in the world where you can pay for sex in chips.
You clearly haven't been to Newcastle on Tyne

Blind Dog said:
You clearly haven't been to Newcastle on Tyne
Nope, never had the pleasure, but going on the behaviour of a few Newcastle lads I used to play football with, it doesn't surprise me that the chip market is alive and kicking in the great English north.

Back