What Is A Balanced Beer? - HBW LIX

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 52
Although An Ankou's point is well taken. I believe the customary thinking is that the flavour contributions of grains, various hops and the yeast used (even so-called "neutral" strains do add flavour), none are so strong as to mask the others. Many low-flavour beers such as Pure Blonde or somewhat more flavourful ones such as Furphy are balanced.

But adults can balance on a seesaw as well as flyweight kiddies. Brewers of English bitters,, German k.olsches and Helles lagers often seek balance, and succeed. On the other hand, in NEIPAS and Imperial anythings, balance is not on the agenda.

Personal tastes affect the perception of balance. Good Czech pilsners have subtle grain and yeast flavours, as well as a contribution of Saaz flavour and aroma, but to some tasters the bittering dominates.

Last edited:
The flavour, mouth feel and aroma of each ingredient in my opinion makes up the complexity of beer and the layers of flavour. Although all elements feed into the balance, generally balance is the bitterness to sweetness ratio. You can have a very high IBU IPA but isn't perceived to be that high by the high amounts of residual sweetness (sugars) balancing out the bitterness. Yeast flavour can be dominant, I think of Brettanomyces and that aroma you don't forget.

Yep, great points. Just wanted to keep it a fairly simple go-through for those just starting or new to the hobby. But yeah there are a plethora of subtleties to be explored when it comes to perception of balance in a beer.

Latest posts

Back