What I Love About Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuffa

Reaction score
Everything :icon_cheers:

The smell of the boil. The perfume of newly picked hops. The music of the airlock. The magic of the ferment looking thru glass. The taste from mash to the finished product.

I love that it gives my eldest son and myself a common passion.

Especially I love that nothing gets wasted. The spent grain goes to the chooks and pigs. The trub and dregs goes on the compost (compost goes on veges & hop plants). The beer drained from yeast starters goes in slug & snail traps. The bore water that goes thru the chiller ends up on the garden.

Everybody is happy, the chooks & pigs are happy, SWMBO is happy with the cider I make her (made from local apple juice) and the Merlot, and well someone has to drink the beer I make :icon_drool2:

Thanks to all the people on this site that have given me the inspiration and knowledge to brew good beers. Thanks to all those members I have sent messages to and have given me good advice.

I hope you all enjoy the brewing process as much as I do :icon_chickcheers:

What do you like about brewing?

If I had to pick my favourite thing about brewing beer, apart from the fact it's beer, it would have to be the smell of fresh hops.

If I had to pick my favourite thing about brewing beer, apart from the fact it's beer, it would have to be the smell of fresh hops.

I can't decide between the smell of fresh hops or the smell when you dough in... it's neck and neck.

brewing tomorrow.
i love that in about two weeks i'll have a full keg of english bitter to replace the one i emptied last week :icon_cheers:

and yeah,. the smell of the mash, smell of the boil, yadda yadda
joe

:)
I love how it has given me a more self sufficient view on life.
I also get alot more joy out of self accomplishment and of course the general good nature of brewers is another fantastic element of the hobby :)

The complete package .. I love being a mad scientist .. being obsessed with something that is nothing short of 100% tactile.. Good beer .. good friends and introducing my friends to a fantastic hobby which is capable of taking up 100% of yuor time .. with no remorse..

Oh and I love picking up 50kg of grain and a bag of Amerillo hops for just over $100 .... Freakin SWEET!!!!!

How many brews can a guy do ... with 300 lt of storage capability!! YE HA ..

I don't really like it at all. I just do it to fill in the time until I die, miserable and alone and penniless.

I guess the mash smells ok.

i only brew to stop my chronic masturbation... the mash paddle really cops it.. errr

I just needed a hoby that involves a lot of waiting with a low inherent risk that wouldn't intefere with my drinking and keeps me out of direct sunlight.

I have however suffered occasional mild scalding at the 'mash out' stage so I'm thinking of purchasing a lab coat and welders gauntlets.

Plus I get to use highly accurate and complex digital measuring equipment.

Well, the scales I bought off e bay anyway.

And a fridgemate.

The variety, the joy of producing and sharing something fantastic, the smell of the hops and the mash, the smell of freshly crushed grain, the waiting for the next beer to be finished ready to go, tasting as you go, sharing with family and friends and getting away from the kids for 5 minutes at a time to enter a world of wonder and leave behind the frustrating drudgery of real life :eek:

I have to say the best thing is trying the new beer, after all the work that has gone into planning and making it the lead up to the first sip is the best...almost as good as the lead up to getting your end away :lol:

Thanks to all the people on this site that have given me the inspiration and knowledge to brew good beers. Thanks to all those members I have sent messages to and have given me good advice.

Hi All.

I would like to second this. I have sent about 20 PM's out there for direct advice and people have always been so helpful so quickly. Loads of info and pointers out there. It really makes me wanna join a club someday.

So thanks to all who share their advice - we appreciate it.

Back