What Grain Scales Do You Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having had another el cheapo ($35-$50) 5KG/1g digital scale die on me today, I've opted for an industrial big-boy like this or this.

For those of you who are using 30kg/1g increment scales, are they accurate enough on the lower end (eg measuring 65g pellets for example) ?

I would prefer to use only 1 scale for both grain and hop, not having to purchase a secondary smaller 0.5 increment 1kg max scale (just for hops).

I don't need it deadly accurate to that exact g, but don't want it reading 25g when it's really 15g.

Thanks,
reVox

I bought a set of the same as your first link. They have been great so far and they're accurate. I tested with a 100g calibration weight and it read exactly 100g, regardless of where it was placed on the plate. Based on this, I'd feel pretty comfortable using it to weigh out my hops.

Packaging from this guy is crap (ie no padding etc), especially when you consider how much you're paying. Mine showed up with a torn and belted box but fortunately everything worked fine. I remember one of the guys here mentioning that his box was open and the scales were DOA so the poor packaging might be standard for this seller. Maight be worth asking him to use bubblewrap.

cheers

Scott

Here's mine

Goes up to 7kg in 1g increments

Use it for measuring everything - got it off ebay ages ago for $30 odd

Cheers

weighinggrainschocolatemalt.jpg

Here's mine

Goes up to 7kg in 1g increments

Use it for measuring everything - got it off ebay ages ago for $30 odd

Cheers

I use the same for grain - Digital Scales Direct have moved premises to Thornbury, making it easy to get to and save postage. It's no good for hops in my house, but fine for all sorts of things (one of my cats weighs 3.91kg)...

I'm on the same grain scales as Spills and Cortez - but I also bought a set of 0.1g accuracy scales for hops. Perhaps overkill for a normal batch, but I quite often do small batches on the order of 2-8L as experiments.

If you are using a high alpha hop in a 2L batch, then being a gram out in either direction makes a significant difference, so I needed a higher level of accuracy than the fairly standard +-1g.

Just food for thought if you aren't a >23L or death kind of brewer

Thirsty

Fixed your link.

I don't think hanging scales would be that useful??

Fixed your link.

I don't think hanging scales would be that useful??

Cheers PoMo.

I am going to use them for weighing grain mostly, and can then put a bucket under it to weigh out my grain quicker. I have another kitchen scale for weighing out hops.

eric

This one looks pretty good. Apparently weighs up to 7kg at an accuracy of 1g. $36 +postage?

I bought a set of those from that mob about a year ago. They do a great job. The original set I had went bung after a few months but the seller was cool about sending out a replacement set. The replacements have been going strong for almost a year.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks all for the advice!

I took the plunge and grabbed this guy.
1.jpg

$88.50 delivered. 30kg/1g increments. These units have only been available via buy it now on eBay.. seller has 10 more, afaik. I'll report back accuracy at next brew day.

Really wanted 1 scale for both grain and hop and hoping this will do the trick.

Cheers,
reVox

After reading this thread and seeing how cheap good scales are now, I got this set delivered today for less than $60, 30kg 1gm increments. Has a rechargeable battery, so can be used anywhere in the brewery!

Scaless.jpg

Back