What Are Your Brewing Plans For 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im going to try and learn as much as possible, start mini mashing and maybe even go all grain. I want to brew a good lager, irish ale, APA and a wit as well. Hopefully I can do all that.

2004 was a big year, started with kits and bits and have now have 14 AGs complete.

What is the US Coast Guard doing in Sydney Harbour? Whatever.:unsure:

Use my new fermentation chest freezer.
Obtain a better wort cooling system than the current single immersion chiller
Learn alot more about the brewing process and beer in general
Upgrade the boiler from a plastic 30 litre fermenter to something better
Purchase a grain mill
Try brewing a lager
Enter a competition or two.

Well since i have newly taken up assisting, I have assisted in the fermentation (He he) of 11 beers since July I think the Skies the limited next year.

I have on the way a Co2 gas bottle so I can keg, Then I have to fit the newly aquired tape to my freeby fridge an plumbthe lot.

I want to experiment a little more next year with yeats and more ingredients, And more than likely brew more to fill my pit in the shed with a huge varity of beer.

Thinking of renting out my Pit so others can lager all year round :) It stays at less than 20 even on the 37oC days

Just brew maybee a cap or a steam beer other than that get better at brewing

In 2005, I'm looking forward to the first all grain brew on a setup I can call my own.

Short of a grain mill I am fully, if primatively, equipped, and the mill won't be far away.

Down the track in 2005 a pump system is on the agenda. Apart from anything else I am scared of heights and all that ladder climbing worries me.

Other than that the resolution is just to learn to understand the craft better, and put the learning in to practice. My brewig is pretty rough around the edges at times.

2004 was a great year, which exceeded all expectations. Still find it hard to believe I actually went all grain. I can't thank fellow ahb'ers enough for all their help, inspiration and support. As 2005 develops and my confidence grows, hopefully I can repay the favour to some other newbies. I know that as I refine and tweak the scavanged brury, bits of it will find their way back home to their original owners - or to new, good and caring homes, just like other's gear did to me.

awrabest, an' lang may yir lums reek!!

My goal for 2005 is to play golf. Brewing Monday - Friday and a quick 18 holes on Sat or Sun morning. Played a total of ZERO rounds this year so far, anything will be an improvement
Cheers
Gerard

the only plans i have so far i hope will be completed by mid january, and that is to build a portable keg system, with small gas bottle (if anyone has one to sell, let me know) a cooling coil in an esky and first a picnic tap, but when i have more cash upgrade to a pluto gun

Well I haven't given it that much thought but:

Convert the two other 50L kegs I have into a MLT and Boiler .
Finish the computer control of the brewery.
Of course try some new styles for the year - Dunkel Weizen, maybee a belgian ...
Keep my eye out for a freezer like Doc's or maybee not quite so large. :D

In 2004 my resolution was to start partial mashing.

I managed the following -

- a month's work experience in the beer and beverage labs at Cascade
- two all-grain brews
- a fair increase in my knowledge of the brewing process and the practical aspects of home brewing
- meet a swathe of raging alcoholics that have taught me plenty about brewing, shown me great hospitality and given me sweet, sweet beer.

I guess I've got a month left on that resolution bit :)

what to do in 05 :unsure:
im planning on upgrading the ag stand into a nice shiny 50mm rhs stand.ive already got the ss wind shields to cover the nasa burners.not to sure if i will get a ubeaut pump for this setup yet.will incorporate a ss support on the frame to hold the digital temp gauge and thermo.maybe also a side support for my larger ss mash tun ive recently scored.
betta make myself a decent mash paddle while im at it.
have a lenght of ss pipe at :ph34r: and may incorporate this into the set up.

on the brew front will try some different styles.wheat beer and wouldnt mind having a go at some belgian beers.first one will be a delirium tremens. <_<
also on the wish list is to buy a bigger fermenter so i can do double batches.wonder if her indoors would let me buy a fermenator. :( :rolleyes:

cheers
big d

ive got a few recipes i found on the web ive been dying to make for ages. in the queue for 2005:
* a rochefort 8 clone with 1762
* a huge chunky baltic porter
* lots of saisons with weird spices
* i'll rack my lambic which has been going 9 months and make kriek + framboise
* i want to try a bass no1 clone, OG 1110, 2 ingredients: maris otter, shitloads of goldings, with a monster 10 hour boil
* a wee heavy
* a double IPA (dogfish head 90 min clone) just to see if i like it

other than that, be good to my mum, be sensible with money, stop wasting so much time on beer sites, etc etc

To buy:
Grain mill
CFWC

To build:
Brew stand

To brew:
Next year's starters
Scottish Ales
English IPAs, Bitters & Browns
Regulation in-your-face-APAs
Smoked porter (just too damned nice TDA!)
European Lagers (for my girly mega-swill mates... "I'm not drinking that - I only like the light coloured beer!")
Nothing that has oak chips, cooking chocolate or dates in it.

Steve

big_d brew your own in canberra has a 400L conical stainless one for sale.. for around the $500 mark i think..

Doc said:
First I had to lookup what my resolutions were for 2004.

Mine are to spend a brew day in a micro brewery (which I hope to do on a trip to NZ in a couple of months), start experimenting more with my mash schedules eg decoctions and step mashes, and to start gathering/hording the equipment to turn my AG brewing gear into a RIMS or HERMES.

Well I did the brewday in a NZ brewery (Wellington Brewing Company), didn't really experiment with step or decoction mashes, but have started gathering equipment to upgrade my brewery.
I also did a lot of experimentation with big beers and upgraded the brewery for the 1100 litre fermentation chest freezer.

So for 2005 I will want to continue some experimentation with big beers, nail down my brewday to fit in three AG brews regularly, and continue to upgrade my AG gear with items like a pump, plate chiller etc.
I also want to finally nail a great Saison and Wheat beer. I've come very close, but need a bit more experimentation.

Beers,
Doc
[post="36827"][/post]​

Time to fess up.
Did you do what you planned in 2005 ?

I experimented with some big beers this year (although not as many as 2004).
Three AG brews in a day was achieved but only once.
Upgraded the AG gear with a counterflow chiller, march pump, inline aerator and brew sculpture.
Finally motorised the Valley Mill.
Nailed the Saison, and the HefeRyeizenBock.

Now to think of next years resolutions (time for a new topic I think).

Beers,
Doc

GSRman said:
big_d brew your own in canberra has a 400L conical stainless one for sale.. for around the $500 mark i think..
[post="36965"][/post]​

Bet that has gone!

Well, i picked up 75kg of base malts today, so i will have a big season this year. If only i could get off my ass to waste the gut this hobbyis creating. Actually ill make that priority no1.
But basically i wanna hit the AG thing. i have everything here to do it. May neeed a few more things to make it a tad easier though.
Try some new styles now i have more yeasts.
Enter a few comps.
Generate a beer where all my mates go WOW

berto said:
Well, i picked up 75kg of base malts today, so i will have a big season this year. If only i could get off my ass to waste the gut this hobbyis creating. Actually ill make that priority no1.
But basically i wanna hit the AG thing. i have everything here to do it. May neeed a few more things to make it a tad easier though.
Try some new styles now i have more yeasts.
Enter a few comps.
Generate a beer where all my mates go WOW
[post="99121"][/post]​

Welcome to the obsession
cheers
Darren

unfortunately what i want and what i get dont always add up.just had a ubeaut 4 post font on offer but the handbrake applied the NO factor real quick.
at least i will remain positive for an 06 attack.

upwards and beyond
big d

My main brewing plan for next year is to stop using Powells malts.

I can not see how people are getting decent efficiencies from this malt.

Having used them all year this year I have found my efficiencies to be very bad.
Whereas the couple of times I have used JW malts they were spot on.

Maybe one day I will learn the secret, till then I will pay more for other brands.

johnno

Duff said:
- Continue to learn about this addictive hobby
- Maintain my 1 AG each week and experiment with different styles
- Get a keg system setup
- Buy a grain mill and start buying in bulk
- Get around to making a yeast starter
- Buy another fridge to CC in

I think it's wonderful how people set goals :lol:

Duff.
[post="36839"][/post]​

- I've learnt a little bit during 2005, still a long way to go.
- Didn't quite make 52 AG's, got into the 40's.
- Have 8 kegs now.
- Grain mill is on order.
- Made many starters, and now the yeast bank sits around 25 different types.
- Bought a big fridge to store the kegs in.

Did alright actually :party:

Back