What Are You Growing/producing/making?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayzi

Reaction score
Being that most homebrewers are a fairly resourceful bunch, I'm interested to find out what you are growing or making for yourself that most people go out and buy.
For myself the list is something along the lines of

Beer (no surprise really)
Herbs and Veges - run of the mill stuff
Citrus -Orange, lemon, lime, soon to put in a mandarin
Eggs
Bread
Pasta
Passionfruit
Making maramalades/jams from my citrus, and soon the cordial recipe that I saw on here this morning
Once my chillis come on it will be chilli sauce heaven aswell

Soon to put in Avocado, grapes, hops (thanks DrSmurto) and maybe a Granny Smith - need to do a bit more research on how they go in my area.

Its not that I'm a raging Greenie or that keen on self sufficiency but I enjoy growing/making my own food/things. I'm always after new ideas aswell, hence the post. I'm on a 1200m2 Urban block and keen to put it to full use

Interested in cheeses if anyone has any experience/knowledge to pass on

Weeds..
:rolleyes:

Soon to be veges and herbs... I hope...

Winter has knocked out a few regulars like tomato and capisican but the leafy greens are still thriving, as is the coriander, mint, rosemary, passionfruit and parsley.
Hopefully next season I'll be swimming in blueberries, passionfruit, raspberries, butternut pumpkin and garlic. I've also got a lemon and orange tree plus a mulberry standing about 2m high, got no idea when it'll fruit.
I'd like to get some apple trees in also, but the capisican is a pain in the arse and tends to catch every disease in the book.
The ubiquitous tomato always gets a run.

We had egg producing chickens until the dogs found a chink in the coups armor - you wont stop a determined 40kg bull mastiff cross and a greedy lab with chicken wire - which was a real shame cos I enjoy the company of chickens and eat around four eggs a day.
My new improved design based on Guantanamo Bay's highly effective 'camp X ray' model complete with solar a powered fence energizer that'll deliver 7500V of 'think twice' will be installed in spring.

If I could settle a couple of hop variates that I really enjoy or covered a wide spectrum of beers, I have a crack at those also.
At least with an acre of land I've got a bit of room to play with and not turn the yard into a jungle.

My new improved design based on Guantanamo Bay's highly effective 'camp X ray' model complete with solar a powered fence energizer that'll deliver 7500V of 'think twice' will be installed in spring.

This won't be effective. Even Harold and Kumar escaped from Guantanamo Bay.

Normal suburban house/garden here, so I grow herbs and yeast, make beer and sometimes yogurt (let my GBP ginger beer culture die so don't make that anymore).
Also have 100 small blueberry bushes that I am looking after for my sister, they'll go to her place in spring, my hops also live at her place and she's planted a dozen or so apples, and about 1/2 dozen cherrys, apricots, nectarines etc.

Beer
Cider
Fruit Cordials
Jam
Marmalade
Pickles
Sauces (fruit wooster, tomato etc)
Bread
Mash potato (that's right, no frozen or instant powder here...)

Live in an apartment so no garden here, but have a plot at the community garden with the regular winter veg atm.

Latest posts

Back