Water/grain Ratio(again)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your standard water to grain ratio?

• 2 litres per kilo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.5 litres per kilo

• 3 litres per kilo

• 3.5 or above per kilo(add a post to explain)

• I alternate for different styles(please specify)

• Total voters
:) Just a 4 PM bump. There has got to be more than 30 AG, and partialers out there to vote :blink:

Hey Brau
I voted for 2L/kg, cause I usually mash at 2.1L/kg, and if I want a really well attenuated beer, go for 2.3L/kg. I am sure that more than that makes a fine beer, but that is what works for me, and I have a 45L mash tun, so I can go up to about 13 or 14kg grain bill using that ratio, perfect for double batches or barleywines. That ratio is just what I did for my first AG (instructions from Bonk) and I have stuck with it ever since.
All the best
Trent

bindi said:
warrenlw63 said:
3 Litres per kg usually.

Though ATM I'm using Powells malts with a 40 degree rest for 30 mins. at 1 litre per kg and infusing up to sacc rest of 2.5 litres per kg.

Being a batch sparger I just thin the mash after this and run it off.

Warren -
[post="121890"][/post]​

This what I do except I rest at 50-53c with powells malts read it here awhile back and works for me.
[post="121930"][/post]​

I voted 2.5 but it's really 2.3. Using Powells products exclusively at the moment & getting a little tired of getting 55% efficiency (even if I am consistant). :rolleyes: I batch sparge BTW.
Going to go for my first protien rest next time & raising the grain to water ratio to 2.6\1 in the aim of getting a better extraction rate.
Will also begin honing my beginners skills (5 AG's) at adjusting the mash PH. The local water analysis shows a PH of 7.5 which seems far too high. This could be another reason for my poor efficiency. I am looking around for some dependable PH test strips ATM.
This thread has been very informative & any advice on my above plans would be appreciated. Bindi & Warren:- What sort of efficiency are you getting?

:beer:

TidalPete said:
This thread has been very informative & any advice on my above plans would be appreciated. Bindi & Warren:- What sort of efficiency are you getting?

[post="122090"][/post]​

G'day Pete. :)

First 2 batches with Powells I used a single temp. dump and stir with a LG ratio of 3:1 and was getting about 55% efficiency which I found really annoying. <_<

Since incorporating a 40 degree rest for 30 mins my efficency has crept up to around 75%. Then I just infuse boiling water to bring the temp up to between 65-67 degrees for 60-80 mins. :beerbang:

Warren -

I'm in with 3L/kg & about 75%+ for efficiency

I am surprised at some comments regarding low efficiency of Powells malts.
I have used Powells malts with no noticable drop in efficiency on my system in comparison to any other brand of malt.

BTW I use 3l / kilo. Mash for 90 mins, perform a mash out at 77 deg c generally fly sparge, although batch sparging on my system doesn't seem to make any difference, and of course get a very repeatable good crush from my Crankenstein 3D
I consistently achieve 78% :)

I know my opening sentence is a bit off topic so maybe a new poll would interesting considering the efficiency of the Powells products.

Cheers

Cheers to all replies,

Thanks very much for the helpful info. Looks like I'm on the right track here. May well raise my L\G ratio to 3\1 in the future but will try 2.6\1 first.
Bindi,
Your local water analysis (& Screwtop's) should be very similar to mine? Can you confirm? PM me.
Any comments on the excessive PH anyone?

Tidal Pete, I emailed cr Don Smith asking for a CalAqua water analysis and had no reply, thought that was strange as he is a friend of 17 years. Thanks for the reminder will send him another email. If you and Bindi would like to do the same PM me for his email address.

TidalPete said:
Cheers to all replies,

Thanks very much for the helpful info. Looks like I'm on the right track here. May well raise my L\G ratio to 3\1 in the future but will try 2.6\1 first.
Bindi,
Your local water analysis (& Screwtop's) should be very similar to mine? Can you confirm? PM me.
Any comments on the excessive PH anyone?

[post="122140"][/post]​

Hi Pete how are you and yours.
I did my first 40c rest with powells today to see if it made a difference. I had an increase from 70% to 73% eff on that particular recipe. I have never had an eff of below 65% with powells.
A good crush is VERY important, more so than your usual malts.
I did a 1.5l/1 k ratio for the 40c step for 30 min and then increased that to 3.5/1 for the last rest at 65c step for 60 min.
I had good conversion and a nice clean run off and I am happy with that.

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
Hi Pete how are you and yours.
I did my first 40c rest with powells today to see if it made a difference. I had an increase from 70% to 73% eff on that particular recipe. I have never had an eff of below 65% with powells.
A good crush is VERY important, more so than your usual malts.
I did a 1.5l/1 k ratio for the 40c step for 30 min and then increased that to 3.5/1 for the last rest at 65c step for 60 min.
I had good conversion and a nice clean run off and I am happy with that.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="122149"][/post]​

Thanks for the info Andrew. I will be trying something along the same lines with my next brew. I have been using the Crankenstien with a 0.045" gap & have been a little concerned that the crush was too fine (almost got my first stuck sparge). I got the same efficiency to that of my previous crush which used a 0.040" gap. I can't help but think that the local water's PH of 7.5 is the villian with my poor efficiency here??
Michael,
I only took 8 months & numerous emails to wheedle a complete water analysis from Caloundra City Council as several of the components in the analysis required a special test. It's not very comforting to realise that we are their employers. :( PM me for a copy of the analysis (all areas tested are more or less the same). Better yet, come & get it & have a beer or two.

PM me for a copy of the analysis (all areas tested are more or less the same). Better yet, come & get it & have a beer or two.
'
Cool Pete, love your beer :) and will drink it any time, don't need an excuse, but as you know I have' inside help' when it comes to council stuff <_< no names no court martials :p wink,wink <_< .

i made several calls to local council here and got a copy of the water report but it didnt have everything on it.

They said....... we dont even test it for that...cant remember which compounds off the top of my head but i was diaspointed.

plus the water hardness changes depending on which dam they take from at any givven time so i talk to the fella at work who tests the water hardness daily.

He can tell me....... yeah, hardness at CaCO3 is about 150 PPM at the moment.

this lets me know wheather i need to add calciun or not.

It was at 30 PPM for a while, very soft. Now only 2 months later its up around 200 PPM.

thats the problem with a water report, you need them updated regularly.

cheers

Back