Water filter storage and maintenance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or is there a steriliser that the carbon won't suck up? It's been a long time since first year chemistry so I'm a bit vague.. I've a steriliser that is hydrogen peroxide and silver ions. Seems like the carbon might suck up the silver? Any other ideas?

Buy a whole house filtration unit. About $400 and have nice water for your entire house and no nasties to drink or bath in.
I know Eastern States have had problems with Giardia and Crytpsoridium a while back. Filtration makes sense, especially if you do some research into town water supplies.

Doing the whole house means you wont have to worry about storing filters too.
Your hot water systems remain cleaner, as do your pipes.
The Family wont be absorbing copious amounts of chlorine through the skin and all the other benefits of knowing your water is CLEAN.

So since starting this thread I haven't replaced either filter. I store wet for up to a couple of months between brews. I run off 10-15 litres of water before each brew and taste before each brew. (the run off then tends to be used for starters or watering hops or cleaning later in the day or something).

Still crystal clear and zero taste. I should probably buy another coupla filters just because 12 months has rolled around and it seems like a reasonable time frame, but no (observable/detectable) impacts from not doing so, so far.

Back