Warming Hops Before Using

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno, depend on the individual drinker I guess. But it's not noticeable or strong hop aroma that is frowned upon, it's the hydrocarbon style aromas.. The sort of stuff you get from dry hopping or from heavy use of a hopback, or a little bit from say whirlpool hops. If you put those new world hops in the boil, the same thing is going to happen to them as would happen to any other hop, and most of the hydrocarbon fractions going to go away, rather quickly, leaving behind mostly the oxygen bearing fractions, that have a finer more noble (depending on your opinion) aroma.

So you have them compounds not surviving the boil then which compounds is it that the person quoted in the OP that need this warming up of the hops? if it is indeed true, sounds like the bloke has some idea of what he's talking about.
I am troubled to think of how warming the hops before is going to help with this really, you would think the curing period would take care of anything that would happen when doing this, if not then I am sure the explaination as to why is out there.
Theres got to be some sciencific explaination if its true, great grandpa said he left the hops out over night for one brew and it was the best ever so we have been doing it ever since :icon_cheers:

If theres a half reasonble explaination I'd like to hear it, but its not something I am about to research.

I always thought that the bun was the lowest form of wheat.
:ph34r:

oooooh, thats some serious wit you have there Bribes,
I sure hope Ron Burgundy isn't lurking...
stay classy AHB :D

So you have them compounds not surviving the boil then which compounds is it that the person quoted in the OP that need this warming up of the hops? if it is indeed true, sounds like the bloke has some idea of what he's talking about.
I am troubled to think of how warming the hops before is going to help with this really, you would think the curing period would take care of anything that would happen when doing this, if not then I am sure the explaination as to why is out there.
Theres got to be some sciencific explaination if its true, great grandpa said he left the hops out over night for one brew and it was the best ever so we have been doing it ever since :icon_cheers:

If theres a half reasonble explaination I'd like to hear it, but its not something I am about to research.
no need to research it ,just listen to Basic Brewing Radio 8./9/05,Gerard Lemmens,Brewers Supply Group.The volatile oil he was talking about was Myrcene.I't's quite an interesting chat :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back