Warm Lager Or Cool Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive just racked a brown ale that went off furiously @ 16c with so4,and pitched an all goldings/mariss otter +cara wort onto the yeast cake to ferment @ 16/18 in this current cool spell.
Previous to that i used saf us 56 @ 15c on the "organic blonde" and it worked fine.

At least with the so4 you can relax if the temps climb past 20c,only a little fruityness will prevail.

ok, since i'm on a pseudo-lager thing i'm going with the 56, cool ferment, sticklebract and hersbrucker/saaz
just for something different

edit - thanks for the help fellas

Darren - everyday is a good day for brewing (I'm undercover and near the beer fridge :) )

Tangent,

Sounds like a nice brew. I'm not really that keen on dried yeasts, prefering to use Wyeasts, but I have to admit when I decide to do an Ale on the spur of the moment, I always use Safale. It's quick to mutliply, attenuation is good and I would recommend 18 to 22 Deg C. IMO lagers need a nice slow ferment 10 to 15 Deg C. I usually ferment at 10DegC for approx 4 weeks, Rack, and condition for another 2 weeks, Rack, then :chug: Watch out for NZ Saaz if you get any it's quite high in A/Acids, think around 8

i chickened out and went for a cocktail of hops but generally stuck with simcoe and cascade.
tastes good tho :)

Excellent choice, how did it turn out and what was your hopping regime?

Latest posts

Back