Warm Lager Or Cool Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
G'day,
I'm not using any cooling for fermenters, only occasional heat.
Just keen to try some Weyermann Pilsner malt with hersbrucker.
With this cool spell in ADL, would i be better with a Saflager and run the risk of it running a bit hot or just use a cooler ferment with Safale? (~18C)

I'm thinking that this'll be a harder brew to get right than a double IPA. Kinda like a sniper rifle compared to a shotgun.

Yeast thoughts?

probably want to use a healthy dose of northern brewer hops with it too

i've got a selection of dried yeasts
along with cascade, artarnhum(?), fuggles and hersbrucker
i'm really trying to use what i've got atm.
what do you think?
artarnhum at 60mins and hersbrucker at 15?

Damned good question!

We all know that Safale S04 does very well at 18 degrees, so I reckon that's a bit of a no brainer. BUT, I have done two lagers with saflager S-23, both of which fermented for the first few days at the temps that you are proposing, and they are not perfect I'm sure but IMO they are quite respectable lagers. They have no noticable fruity or estery flavours - they taste very much like a lager. So I would not rule out the saflager option. I am guessing that most people here will recommend the Safale, and they are no wrong, but the saflager does a great job in relatively warm conditions - a much better job than I think most people give it credit for! I think you should just figure out if you want a lager-tasting beer or an ale-tasting beer and go with the corresponding yeast. I must say though, most people agree that SO4 at 18 degrees is just about optimal (where as saflager @ 18deg is probably not), so it would be pretty hard to pass up, if you want an ale.

If you are going to choose between those two yeast I would run the safale at 18C. It should be fine at tat temp. I have not used that yeast for some time myself but that is what I would do.

I think you will get more predicatble result from an ale yeast at 18C, almost prefect temp, than a lager yeast at 18C.

Tangent,
Steam beer (2112 and NB) will quickly become your fave style of beer. Give it a try if you can

Tangent,

I assume your only choices here are Saflager and Safale? If so, I would definitely go for the Safale at 18C. This is not a cool ferment for an ale yeast, in fact it's perfect for most ale yeasts. When I used to use dry yeasts, I found Safale would ferment ok down to 16c. Anything lower and I had problems. High temp ferments with lager yeasts produce fruity and fusel flavours you don't want in a lager.

Cheers - Snow

Darren said:
Wyeast 2112 is a good choice for warmer ferments
[post="95050"][/post]​

Or White Labs San Francisco Lager...

i spose if the weather dude is lying through his teeth and the temps skyrocket, i won't get caught with my pants down with an ale.
I do have the dry yankee safale as well. Maybe that would ferment better as a pseudo-lager.

ale yeast and athanum and cascade. Don't think hersbrucker will match safale at all well

i'm hoping that my nz hops will arrive today and i'll have a chance to open this recipe up to you guys.
i'll start milling pilsner in about 1/2 hour.

Darren said:
Tangent,
Steam beer (2112 and NB) will quickly become your fave style of beer. Give it a try if you can
[post="95055"][/post]​

Geez Darren I gotta agree with you for a change. :lol: :lol:

Yep, the old Steamers are a pretty hard drop to beat. IMO They're better with 100% NB though 1 boiling addition and about 20g (for 23 litres) 15 mins before flameout. As I think TDH said the other day they've got that nice rustic woody character that makes the beer really interesting.

Warren -

Speaking of Northern Brewer, earlier this year I used it for bittering a stout and the complex woody flavour complemented the roast flavours of the stout perfectly. It was really nice! One of my favourite bittering hops, and not bad for flavour/aroma either.

what's the limits?
safale 16-25C?
saflager???

From the website:

Recommended temperature range: 9C-15C (ideally 12C). Recommended pitching rate at 12C-15C: 80 to 120 g/hl (equivalent to 8 to 12 millions/ml wort). For a pitching temperature below 12C, increase the pitching rate accordingly, up to 200 to 300 g/hl at 9C (equivalent to 20 to 30 million viable cells/ml wort).

D'oh!
thanks RW, I'll bookmark it to avoid more stupid questions..

My compliments Tangent

OK thankyou Aust Post!
Customs have had a good look but my hops have arrived!
This'll change my recipe a bit.
I'm just about to start sparging.
So far:
4.5kg Pilsner
200gm caramunich I
90 minute mash (started at 66, finished at 64C, not too bad for bbubblewrap)

Just recieved - NZ Pacific Gem 14%
NZ Pacific Jade 12.4%
NZ Sticklebrack 11.2%
East Kent Golding 5.8%
Czech Saaz 3%
Nelson Sauvin 12.7%
Styrian Golding 3.7%

Massive smile on dial :)

Either using Safale or Yank Safale

Any ideas?

edit spelling

Latest posts