Warm Hop Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincleanoff

Kings Cross Brewery
Reaction score
I flea bombed my house last friday morning, which requires all electrical appliances to be turned off.

Unfortunately when I got home that evening, I forgot to turn this fridge that I store my hops in back on!!! I didnt notice until last night, so they were in the freezer for two days at a warm temperature.

I imagine it would have taken about 24 hours for the freezer to defrost.. so they probably only had about 24 of warmness...

Have some in vacuum sealed bags, but some just in zip locks.. Should I be worried?

So long as they were sealed well and didn't get wet they will be fine. They take more punishment from Aust. post over a longer period and still survive.

Andrew

I would be inclined to make a big batch of beer with all those hops in it! :p

Seriously though, not an ideal situation to thaw then refreeze, but in pellet form, I dont see how any major damage wouldve been done as they are still in the dark and no oxygen has come into contact with them.

If flowers, may be a different story though...

Brew a batch to taste the difference?

No, those guys are totally wrong. They'll definitely be completely ruined by now. Just pop them over to me and I'll dispose of them for you. :D

Come on, somebody had to say it. :p

Seriously though, not an ideal situation to thaw then refreeze, but in pellet form, I dont see how any major damage wouldve been done as they are still in the dark and no oxygen has come into contact with them.

If flowers, may be a different story though...
I've been using flowers lately - They come from LHBS frozen, defrost on the way home, they go into the freezer, I take them out to weigh and they defrost, I put the rest back in the freezer and remove again when I next need them. I've never had a problem. That's anecdotal, but I've asked around and opinion seems to be that you can do this with no worries. Keeping them airtight whenever possible though is a good idea. I'd suggest that there's no worry to be had.

My $0.02

Latest posts

Back