WANTED- Suggestions for a Bambino Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublert

Reaction score
My brother-in-law-to-be has purchased himself a snappy little Fiat Bambino to restore over the next few months. Its a cute little machine with stacks of character. He says it'll take him about 3 months to get it road-worthy. That gives me plenty of time to get a custom brew together in time to celebrate the first road test.

I would love to get your ideas:
  • What should I brew?
  • What should I call it?

My initial impulse was something Italian like Peroni, but I'd much rather drink something with a bit more flavour. Having said that all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

999845_10153282450390145_232364008_n.jpg

Ahhh, wish I could do grappa but I don't have a still. Limoncello could work. The card is red but I'm trying to push for the engine to be painted yellow so we could play on that.

Italian beers are great, almost all have more flavour than the Peroni exported and there are hundreds.
Their craft beer scene dwarfs Australia's, google it.

Ironic how Countries that make truly great beer are known for their blandest beer. eg. Aus=Fosters/XXXX, USA=Budweiser, UK=warm/flat. (i know UK real ale rules but the negative stereotypes prevail)

p.s. don't call it bambino brew, sounds like a kids mock-tail.

As bambio means baby/small child, you could do something along the lines of little creatures? you could always use enough grain to ensure the beer comes out red in hue...

Alex.Tas, great idea. A hoppy, red coloured ale sounds fun.

mrTbeer said:
p.s. don't call it bambino brew, sounds like a kids mock-tail.
Agreed. Bambino may mean child, but we want to raise this beer to be an Italian MAN-child rather than the camp, leather clad, flappy handed variety.

have a search for boonies little creatures clone. I love it personally. add a bit of crystal to get a red colour and your away! personally i reckon boonies recipe is a little over hoppy than little creatures, so no need to step up the hop schedule to compensate for the added crystal.

Ended up going for a Little Creatures Bright Ale recipe with a few tweeks to the grain bill. Medium crystal will be substituted for the light, cara-red instead of cara-amber and some roast barely to give it a bit of a red hue.

Still mulling over the name. Little Red Creature maybe.

I'm thinking an Irish Red Ale, but call it a "A lil red" after the Red Car. It allows a yummy beer with a good hit of flavor.

OT but back in the early 80's my brother was living in a small country town and had a bambino. Driving down the main street the engine caught on fire and the only people around was the local paper / newscrew. The fire went out almost instantly when he stopped. He got front page coverage with a pic of him leaning on the car. We all though it was pretty cool, but dad was pretty pissed off as my brother was only 16 and was not even old enough for his L's yet.

QldKev said:
OT but back in the early 80's my brother was living in a small country town and had a bambino. Driving down the main street the engine caught on fire and the only people around was the local paper / newscrew. The fire went out almost instantly when he stopped. He got front page coverage with a pic of him leaning on the car. We all though it was pretty cool, but dad was pretty pissed off as my brother was only 16 and was not even old enough for his L's yet.
Classic! To be fair a Bambino would probably be the least dangerous car to take for a joy ride, as long as it didn't blow up.

BREW DAY!

Cold and wet outside. Perfect day for some BIAB in the kitchen.

The grain.
image.jpg

The modified recipe.
image.jpg

Beginning with a bit of a hot protein rest.
image.jpg

I've now got it mashing at 66 degrees C and I'm going to leave it for 90 mins while I try and undermine my wife's belligerence toward my occupation of the kitchen by vacuuming the house (that's just smart brewing practice there).

Hopefully more documentation to come.

PS. Identity Thief (first photo) was about 6/10 for me.

QldKev said:
I've owned several FIATs and Lancias over the years, I am pretty sure all of them caught fire at one point. After the second time I made sure I always had a fire extinguisher onboard.

" Un pico rosso Auto" sounds good to me!

Back