Victoria Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans6401

Reaction score
Hi,
Purchased some hops earlier this year from someone on this site.(Can't remember who) Pride of Ringwood and Victoria. Did a search on the Vic and found nothing. I also purchased some Chinook around the same time and both the Ringwood and Chinook are almost ready to harvest, but the Vic has not one flower.
I was thinking it might be a late season crop, but it's getting way past that. Surely it has to flower, as with almost every other plant in nature that's the way it reproduces. Not sure what's going on.
Is anyone else growing this or had any experience with it? Would love to hear.
Cheers

No idea about 'Victoria' hops, however 3 of my 8 1st year hop plants did not produce anything.
So I don't think it's totally unexpected that one of your plants did not produce anything in the first year.
Leave it in the ground until next year, then fertilize and water it well, then if you still get nothing ... I guess you dig it up and throw it away.

Thanks Wolfy. Good to know there's hope for it yet. Eight first year hops, that quite impressive. Think i might have to hunt down a few more types next season. Been bitten by the bug, and i haven't even used them yet.
Would still like to know something / anything about these Victoria hops.
Cheers

Yes I have bought the same Victoria hop rhizome as you, im sure. Nice plant but no flowers!!, have fertilized three times and watered well, still no flowers. I did read that it is common for 1st year plants to not flower, so i am not panicking yet, however unlike one of the previous posters, I only purchased one rhizome last year to have a crack, so im a little dissapointed that there are no flowers. Shall wait for next years harvest now!! might have to extend my crop with some purchases this year!!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back