Vic "off Season" Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bulp snaffled one of the others that he really liked from your crate and subbed you one of his :eek:

Brendo

I would never do that :ph34r: well maybe , just kidding .

That one wasn't part of my swap contingent John, but i'm glad you liked it, big fan of Hefe's myself, it was undercarbed, i bottled it straight from the keg still getting used to bottling that way, I went a bit apeshit with the mash schedule for this one and followed Zwickels schedule it involves quite a few steps and i'll be honest i don't now what all the steps are for yet :rolleyes: but this is the second time i've made it and both have turned out really nice. Having a Pid controlled Herms helps with all the steps ( i am a lazy fecker) Here is the recipe mate.

Not so Lawnworthy Hefeweizen

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 31.65 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 3.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.00 %
2.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 40.00 %
20.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [6.60 %] (45 minHops 14.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Bavarian Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3638) [StarteYeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Zwicks Weizen Mash
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
Zwicks Weizen Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
0 min Step Add 16.50 L of water at 37.0 C 35.0 C
20 min Step Heat to 42.0 C over 10 min 42.0 C
20 min Step Heat to 52.0 C over 10 min 52.0 C
30 min Step Heat to 63.0 C over 10 min 63.0 C
30 min Step Heat to 72.0 C over 10 min 72.0 C
20 min Step Heat to 78.0 C over 10 min 78.0 C

Notes:
------
Bittering hop addition dropped to 45 min to allow for No chill, Pitched at 13 and fermented
at 17 Degrees

Canadian Blonde - Dan

Nice golden colour, head is very solid with medium sized beads, carbonation is quite high, see picture and you can observe the bubbles streaming toward the top. Head lasted till the end of the glass. Low hop aroma and flavour, bitterness is quite pronounced. Extract "twang" was noticeable, but given the bitterness, was not overbearing at all.

Nice beer!

Canadian_Blonde.jpg

Lookin like a boozer tonight I am, two reviews in a row!

#7 - APD's Lager

Slight malt aroma on opening the bottle. Light straw colour and well carbonated. Mild bitterness mid palate and low malt flavour at back of the palate.

What was FG? Does not seem as dry as I would expect.

Good beer for hot day!

Breezy SNPA Clone

Quite dark for this clone, regardless there was a nice crystal sweetness that balanced the shot of bitterness that hits you soon after the mouthful. Well carbonated, holding a 1cm head for the whole glass. Grapefruit flavours came and went throughout the glass,was it US cascade or the NZ one? Would not stress about hitting your OG for it, balanced out nicely.

Lovely....wish I had another.

John.

11. Gumby's Amber Ale. Poured a nice amber color with little head that dissipated fairly quickly. Mild floral aroma with a hint of malt. Good balance of hop flavor, bitterness and supporting malt. Mildly undercarbonated although I suspect this was just the bottle I had as other have reported good levels of carbonation. All in all, a nice easy to drink beer.

sap.

11. Gumby's Amber Ale. Poured a nice amber color with little head that dissipated fairly quickly. Mild floral aroma with a hint of malt. Good balance of hop flavor, bitterness and supporting malt. Mildly undercarbonated although I suspect this was just the bottle I had as other have reported good levels of carbonation. All in all, a nice easy to drink beer.

sap.

Oops must have underprimed that bottle, sorry about that. Good to hear it was ok anyway :)

What was labeled 8aa on the cap?

Wonderful amber ale with superb clarity! Wasn't too sure I liked it on initial taste. something about the bitterness, but after half a pint I was getting into it, quite up front with the bitterness and it last right through each mouthful. Not as much malt profile as I would have expected from a beer of this color, but it might be just me. Head was flat, though there were bubbles in the beer, maybe it was my glass again.

John

Bretts Red Malty Bliss Piss

A few years ago when the Bended Elbow opened in Geelong I strayed past with the missus and had a Grimbergen Dark. Since then I have been scouring the internet and beer forums to try and find a recipe. Last night, during earth hour and in the light of four flickering candles, I opened Bretts RMBP. The aroma had a gentle spiceyness, first sip.....holy crap, did Brett steal a jug from the Bended Elbow and slide it to me? Awsome malt flavour, lingers long on the palate, followed by the bitterness, lovely balance.

This morning I have already copied the recipe into Promash, thanks Brett!

Seemax - Aldi Wheat Bix Wit

Well it should come as no surprise given all the other good reviews on this one that I quite liked it as well.

Good hazy appearance, low hopping with plenty of yeast driven esters - very enjoyable. I only had two problems with this one... my glass was finished too quickly and my wife - who doesn't normally like wit's had polished hers off too... so that is high praise Seemax!!

Top job mate... was the perfect beer to refresh me after a hard day of brewing.

Brendo

Bretts Red Malty Bliss Piss

A few years ago when the Bended Elbow opened in Geelong I strayed past with the missus and had a Grimbergen Dark. Since then I have been scouring the internet and beer forums to try and find a recipe. Last night, during earth hour and in the light of four flickering candles, I opened Bretts RMBP. The aroma had a gentle spiceyness, first sip.....holy crap, did Brett steal a jug from the Bended Elbow and slide it to me? Awsome malt flavour, lingers long on the palate, followed by the bitterness, lovely balance.

This morning I have already copied the recipe into Promash, thanks Brett!

Stop talking dirty to me John :lol: Now i have to make it again, Glad you liked it mate but i can't take all the credit, this recipe is from the master himself Bindi, the best thing is i've got three other of Bindi's recipes to try yet and if they turn out as good as this one i'll be all over them like a fat kid on a cupcake ! oohh i love me Belgians.

IMG_7898.jpg

Fraser Johns Nelson Sauvin

Oh this was a lovely beer, drank it whilst camping couple of weekends ago on a warm afternoon watching the kids have a swim, i have got to make this, very quoffable lovely sweet malt yet dry in the finish and what more can i say about Nelson Sauvin hops mmmmmm citrusy/ grapefruit awesome beer and has just made my to do list. Well done John

What was labeled 8aa on the cap?

Wonderful amber ale with superb clarity! Wasn't too sure I liked it on initial taste. something about the bitterness, but after half a pint I was getting into it, quite up front with the bitterness and it last right through each mouthful. Not as much malt profile as I would have expected from a beer of this color, but it might be just me. Head was flat, though there were bubbles in the beer, maybe it was my glass again.

John

That would be my Amber John. Glad you liked it.

This beer was very unbalanced a few weeks ago, but has mallowed quite a bit now. Did you get a plastic or glass bottle?

Drank another of mine tonight. Heaps of bubbles but no head :( Will be drinking the rest from my Headmaster glasses from now on LOL

Latest posts

Back