Venting Fridge From Gases

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moultan

Reaction score
Just scored a fridge for my fermenters and was wondering if it were necessary to vent it to allow all the gases out . I know what its like then I open the fermenter lid.. just didnt want to open door and drop dead... plus I could imagine some gases seeping into the wort again ..

thanks

I have never vented my fridges and i have 60Lt fermenting in there each time. Never noticed the gas before so you should be ok. Mind you i never put my head in and take a huge wiff

if it built up pressure the door would leak it out so all in all, your fine to just brew in i feel

I've often wondered if I should be taking big gags on the gases that build up in my brew fridge. I can't help mysef but can they do you any harm in high concentrations?

thats cool seals are pretty average anyway I'l juest let the gas push out. TA

I've often wondered if I should be taking big gags on the gases that build up in my brew fridge. I can't help mysef but can they do you any harm in high concentrations?

They're not great for you... Inside your brew fridge you'll have a high concentration of carbon dioxide, and consequently low oxygen. Take a good lung-full and you could potentially pass out. If it's a fridge you should be right as it'll flow out into the room but in something opening from the top like a chest freezer you could end up with your head in it...

Also I've heard on here that CO2 becomes carbonic acid when it hits the mucous membranes in your nose/throat/lungs, giving you that fizzy/acidic/burning sensation that you can get from taking a big whiff. Not sure if that's a bad thing, but I probably wouldn't be doing it...

Not saying you're likely to kill yourself doing it, but I figure why mess around beyond taking a little sniff to enjoy the fermentation smell? I've heard drinking StarSan is fine, but I'm not about to start downing tallies of the stuff...

Edit: To moultan: Don't worry about venting the fridge, just don't get in there and start gulping the gas down. CO2's heavier than oxygen anyway, so it'll all flow out of the fridge down to foot level pretty quick. :)

You want that Co2 in your fridge, don't vent it. Unless you like infections. I prefer to ferment in a chest freezer, bugger lifting fermenters in and out but then I can open ferment confidently, the freezer fills with Co2 and guards against bugs, when opening the lid Co2 doesn't escape unlike a fridge it falls out when the door is open being heavier than air. Don't stress about breathing in Co2 too much. Worked in a bakery as a lad used to knock back doughs of around 600kg (to remove Co2) then reach into the big bowl to cut dough off to feed into the dividers, bit of a headspin :lol: but did it for hours every night for ten years or so without any effects.........well other than these purplepatches on my.....er nothing much really :lol:

Co2 is fun stuff to play with, remember making it in the lab at school and pouring it from one container to another (difficult as it's colourless). Put a candle in a beaker and slowly pour in the Co2 until it extinguishes the flame, cool fun.

Screwy

Co2 is fun stuff to play with, remember making it in the lab at school and pouring it from one container to another (difficult as it's colourless). Put a candle in a beaker and slowly pour in the Co2 until it extinguishes the flame, cool fun.

Screwy

And using a fire extinguisher to hard and soft carb your beers don't forget!

if it built up pressure the door would leak it out so all in all, your fine to just brew in i feel

There wouldnt be any pressure as the "overflow" would leave via the drain hose

And using a fire extinguisher to hard and soft carb your beers don't forget!

Tin bilong bensin mekim hatpela bubble bilong bia na sofpela bubble bilong loliwara :lol:

Screwy

Back