Usps Ceases Economy Mail.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will make a big difference to US traders,therefore I believe a private firm will offer something to fill the gap.

Batz

I agree with you Batz, surely something will pop up to fill the void.

I've had a trawl through the website and compiled the following information in regards to Priority Mail International from the US to Australia:

Parcel Size Limit
The maximum size limit for rectangular-shaped parcels is:
  • 42 inches in maximum length, and
  • 79 inches in maximum length and girth combined
Cost
  • Flat-Rate Envelope (9.5" x 12.5", max weight 4lbs): $11.00
  • Flat-Rate Box (11" x 8.5" x 5.5", max weight 4lbs): $37.00
  • All other parcels that fall outside of the above categories and that meet the above Parcel Size Limit are charged by weight, up to a limit of 66lbs.
Please see attached Word document for the rate by weight.

Basically, it will cost a fair bit by USPS now. Under these rules you could fit 4 kegs in a box (25" + 18" + 18" = 61", which is less than the 79" max length + girth). The weight of the kegs and the packaging will weigh about 45lbs, which will cost US$182. Therefore freight + 4 kegs will cost about US$246, where as in the past it would cost about US$140.

Translation of this into Australian dollars is based on 4 kegs it used to cost about $45 per keg and now it will cost about $75 per keg.

Cheers
MAH

View attachment Priority_Mail_International.doc

I agree with you Batz, surely something will pop up to fill the void.
Some of the homebrew shops I deal with regularly in the States are searching around for economical alternatives for overseas shipping. I'll pass on anything that they come up with.

Do you gamble Brendan?

WestCoast Brewers is having a keg raffle next month...
- Prize is 3 Quality 2nd hand kegs
- Tickets are $10
- WestCoast Brewers members only
- 2007 1/2 yearly memberships available next month for $25

Asher (Treasurer - Westcoast Brewers) ;)

Not generally, but for something like this I would. The bad news is I work evenings mon-fri, and asking for the second monday of every month (by far the busiest day of the week for us) off would be reminiscent of when John Safran asked if he could join the KKK.

Some of the homebrew shops I deal with regularly in the States are searching around for economical alternatives for overseas shipping. I'll pass on anything that they come up with.

Here's hoping they find something!

Thanks CJ. :beer:

well, in most respects it sucks, but i wonder what it will mean for magazine subscriptions. It'd be nice if magazines actually got here within 3 months of the cover date, and i wouldn't expect they could sock us with extra cost on an existing subscription

My May/June Zymurgy arrived today - I think that is the earliest it has arrived, but there isn't any indication of how it shipped.

Cheers
Pedro

Here's hoping they find something!

Thanks CJ. :beer:
G'day Brendanos,
I was going down the path of getting Kegs from the States, after 3 months I ran out of patience. I opted for Barfridges advice given to me late last year...

"Brian Fitzgerald (preseident of westcoast brewers) has a business importing kegs. He onsells them to places like TWOC in bibra lake, and international homebrew in bayswater. I know Neil in Bayswater sells them for $65 each.
So is it worth waiting 12-15 weeks and not knowing about the quality of the kegs, just to save $10-15 per keg."
Ross is certainly competitive where the freight distance is closer but over here this is a pretty good option IMHO. (I have 5 kegs from TWOC now :) )
Cheers
Doug

Recieved some bad news today :( - USPS (United States Postal Service) has discontinued its economy mail service to overseas.
This will make buying heavy/large objects like kegs etc far more expensive from the USA.

Above has caused me a rethink on some exsisting/new products for which I had just placed an order...

Edit: LINK

cheers Ross

I am not sure :unsure: but I think they may have just changed the name of the service. A few weeks ago I had a CFC sent from the States by USPS ground so I punched in the dimensions and weight of my parcel. I chose the Priority Mail Flat Rate Box and came up the the cost of $37 or online $35.15 US I paid $33.75 US a month ago. It took around 6 weeks to get here. The Priority Mail Flat Rate Box says 6-10 days. If this is correct, it looks like it would get here faster for a few bucks more.
Dimensions length 18" / width 14" / height 9" / Weight 13lbs
http://ircalc.usps.gov/IntlMailServices.as...mp;P=13&O=0

BYB

Does anyone know what the cost of shipping as an LCL in a container would be?

Just another option if it's cost effective.

Well being in the US and all I went to the post office today to send a few things to AUS and asked about the whole deal and the story I got was ... use the post office packs for prepaid and otherwise it is weight based. So a clock that weighed 3kg cost US$45 to send.

There is basically an envelope for $11 prepaid and a box for $33 or something but the dimensions of it are pretty crap.

Bit of a shame really, I will make sure I stock up on goodies before coming home!

I'll second that. I asked the same questions last week sending a parcel to family back home; 2kg package of photos and a small album anticipated to be delivered within 2 weeks cost me US$33. Post here is exorbitant - kegs don't look promising.

When we moved back from the USA (June 2005) we had a moving company do it via a 40ft container. The cost of that was US$10,000. However, that included insurance, professional packing/crating of everything etc.

When we were looking at doing it ourselves (packing etc) a 40ft container was being charged about US$4000, which included shipping to Aus, but did not include about $1000 worth of local port charges.

I am guessing that you could do a 20ft container for a very reasonable cost if you had someone local in the USA do all the packing of the container.

Personally, I'd fork up $ to Ross in advance for kegs if they were going to be shipped in a container and would arrive here at a good price! I paid US$85 for four reconditioned kegs whilst living in the US.

Its a shame that one of the "smaller" HBS in the USA cannot team up and get something like this done so we all benefit.

Back