Using An Aquarium Heater To Regulate Fermenting Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I solved my problems with two 40 watt incandescent lamps mounted on a board underneath my fermenter and plugged into my Craftbrewer controller. This really works well and does not involve anything going into the wort.
Cheers Altstart

Good idea, problem is where do you get incandescent bulbs these days. I wonder if reptile shops still stock the Tungsten bulbs.

Dave

Good idea, problem is where do you get incandescent bulbs these days. I wonder if reptile shops still stock the Tungsten bulbs.

Dave

It may involve a little farnarkling, but if you use halogen bulbs, you can keep the 230V away from your fermenter. Good if for some reason or another there is a leak or other excess moisture. I am about to embark upon building such a thing into an aluminum project box to sit in my fridge instead of the incandescent in a couple of dog food tins.

This is the one I have ordered. They come in 50, 100 200, 300W. Even if they are rubbish they are cheap enough not to worry about it too much. Only go down to 19 deg but I have a dig thermostat if required.

here

Yeah, Immersing the fermenter in a tub uses a bit of space but I have to move operations to the garage or swmbo will enforce prohibition. Currently using a fan heater in a european laundry, which is quite inefficient and not keen to leave it on when I'm not home.

Off topic, Thirsty. Will you be doing the BIAB "Brew off" at G & G coming up?

Cheers

David

You'll be right - even though it only goes down to 19.. by the time you are heating up a tub of water & your fermenter.. it'll probably end up a degree or two lower anyway. So you'll be right in this kind of weather for any of the normal ales.

Dig thermostat is fine... but like I said, I dont like the on/off style controllers for this application. They drive the temp through an (about) 3C cycle and thats too much for me. If you do use the digital thermostat.. then I suggest you definately invest in a little pump to circulate the water, and measure the temperature of the water in the tub rather than the fermenter itself... you will need to do some tests once again to relate the "set temp" to the actual fermenter temp.

Yep - Geoff (Spillsmostofit) and I will be the BIAB team at the System Wars brew off. We plan to cheat.

Yep - Geoff (Spillsmostofit) and I will be the BIAB team at the System Wars brew off. We plan to cheat.

So do all the other participants, it would seem. I think we need to swap a corny of VB or two into the mix...

Dave

I bought 4 in my local IGA no problem at all
Cheers Altstart

In winter I dangle a fish tank heater in the brew. I have done so for 30 winters. I think it helps stir the brew and as it sits below the C02 blanket it stays hygenic. Makes for a fast ferment. Helps me get it in the secondary for settling prior to filling the Tad bottles now.

Never had a problem I have a great system Brew - Bottle - Drink. I am not a purist I use kits and sometimes add ingrediants, although most of the kits like Coopers, Cascade and Tooheys hit the mark as they are.
6 weeks go to woh 1 /2hrs work per batch plus 10 mins charging the 6 litre.

Never thought much about heating the ferment, usually only have to worry about cooling, but the temps here lately are saying otherwise.
Planning on using one of those reptile enclosure bulbs. Ceramic or some such, claim to emit infrared only, so I think that's OK, as it's only UV that causes an issue isn't it ?
Had planned on screwing into a conventional light fitting within the fridge. Probably only going to be there for the winter and then I'll pull it out, so can't see it getting a lot of condensation build up.
Could be good for saisons in the spring though.
Anyone else with that setup ? Was looking at a 60W version which is lots more than my 30 or 40W brew belt, so figure it will be powerful enough for a 25L batch.

Mines in a 170 litre bar fridge with a 25 watt globe..thermostatically controlled ,set at 22..i put a towel around to stop light..works well

Latest posts

Back