Us 56

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saturn

Reaction score
Guys

new house and new brewing location.

the temps crept up towards 30 degrees (and maybe over while at work)

How does US56 go at higher than recommended temps? I seem to remember ther HB shop guy saying it was pretty robust and takes a bit for undesirable flavours to sneak in

it comes out like fruit salad.

But it will be inished fermenting in 2 days :D

to be optimistic - US-56 will produce funky 'wrong' esters, but not half as bad as what some other yeasts would have done

I'd be expecting a big wad of hard to remove diacetyl as well.

Warren -

I'd recommend maybe trying to control the temperature for the first 3-4 days, then allowing it to ramp up. Maybe keep moist towels around the fermenter to cool it. Any effort you go into to cool it down while the fermentation is kicking off should pay off with less esters and fusels. After fermentation is more than halfway done, temperature is far less of a problem.

MFS

Hi Saturn,

I started fermenting an APA on Sunday 25th using US-56 from an OG of 1.047. I came home Monday arvo to find the temperature up to about 27deg, the airlock blurping every second or two and a host of activity in the fermenter. There was an actual whirlpool happening and yeasty bits flying around. I took some video, but you'll need a 3gp player to see it. I've never seen anything like it.

The ferment seemed to stop 24hours later at an SG of 1.024. :( I thought that maybe i killed the yeast with the high temp so pitched some 1056 saved from a previous brew. Nothing. I have a bad feeling that i mashed a little too high and ended up with a lot of unfermentables. :angry:

Toying with the idea of using some dry enzyme to break down some of the unfermentables. Probably ruin the style though. Anyone have any comments?

View attachment 26112007009.zip

Hi Saturn,

I started fermenting an APA on Sunday 25th using US-56 from an OG of 1.047. I came home Monday arvo to find the temperature up to about 27deg, the airlock blurping every second or two and a host of activity in the fermenter. There was an actual whirlpool happening and yeasty bits flying around. I took some video, but you'll need a 3gp player to see it. I've never seen anything like it.

The ferment seemed to stop 24hours later at an SG of 1.024. :( I thought that maybe i killed the yeast with the high temp so pitched some 1056 saved from a previous brew. Nothing. I have a bad feeling that i mashed a little too high and ended up with a lot of unfermentables. :angry:

Toying with the idea of using some dry enzyme to break down some of the unfermentables. Probably ruin the style though. Anyone have any comments?

Before giving up, organise some sort of temp control, ie: the wet towels in a tub of water and a fan, then pitch an agressive dried yeast, nothing to loose aroma wise, so you could use a fruity dried yeast maybe T58 even at this stage.

Screwy

what temp did you mash at?

His OG was 47 Barge, and it's stopped at 24! Maybe it's just a leaky fermenter lid or something, take another gravity reading tomorrow mashdog.

His OG was 47 Barge, and it's stopped at 24! Maybe it's just a leaky fermenter lid or something, take another gravity reading tomorrow mashdog.

i know that the mash temp is an unlikely source of the problem, i was just curious that he thinks it might be an issue. can't imagine that you could miss your temp by that much that you would think it would cause a REALLY big problem so thought i would ask...

if the ferment doesn't progress though, amylase might be a good idea...i've considered it myself

i know that the mash temp is an unlikely source of the problem, i was just curious that he thinks it might be an issue. can't imagine that you could miss your temp by that much that you would think it would cause a REALLY big problem so thought i would ask...

if the ferment doesn't progress though, amylase might be a good idea...i've considered it myself

Thanks all for your quick replies. My mash temp was bout 68deg. I've taken a couple of readings since the bubbling stopped and it has not moved - i.e. has remained on 24points for the last 4 days.

Thanks all for your quick replies. My mash temp was bout 68deg. I've taken a couple of readings since the bubbling stopped and it has not moved - i.e. has remained on 24points for the last 4 days.

Mash temps vary the gravity but by a few points at most, non fermentables will affect the FG to a greater extent, you haven't mentioned your malt/adjunct bill, but I don't imagine you've got heaps of crystal or dextrinous additions in an APA. So extra yeast or Amylase.

Mash temps vary the gravity but by a few points at most, non fermentables will affect the FG to a greater extent, you haven't mentioned your malt/adjunct bill, but I don't imagine you've got heaps of crystal or dextrinous additions in an APA. So extra yeast or Amylase.

Hi screwtop.

I used 5kg pale malt plus another 750g mixed carapils, crystal and wheat. Got 24L at 1.047. As stated, i tried some extra yeast with no effect. Gonna get some amylase and give it a go.

Hi screwtop.

I used 5kg pale malt plus another 750g mixed carapils, crystal and wheat. Got 24L at 1.047. As stated, i tried some extra yeast with no effect. Gonna get some amylase and give it a go.

Amylase will take it down alright, hope it works out well for you.

Screwy

I'm keen to know if it works...mashed my amarillo ale a little high and was wondering what i could do to salvage it if worse comes to worst

Back