Us-05 Pitching Below Ferment Temp Ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
G'day,

I'm about to pitch a pack of US-05 into an APA wort sitting at 16c.

The instructions from Fermentis state that one should pitch at 27c +/-3c when rehydrating the yeast into a slurry OR at "over 20c" when pitching directly from the pack to the wort.

Does anyone have any experience pitching it at 16c? I already undershot my target OG, so I don't want a high FG on this one!

Cheers

done it a number of times with success. you could raise the temp , say 18, towards the end of fermentation to emsure completion to fg.

Thanks fellas - I prefer to pitch a couple of degrees below what I ferment at. In this example, I set the ferm-fridge to 18c while keeping the wort at 16c, then once I add the yeast and pop it in the ferm-fridge it gradually rises to 18 over a few days and stays there until finished.

I was just confused upon reading the instructions. I know the yeast can ferment as low as 15c, but their info on pitching was all >20c. But if it's been done before with success, I'm doing it my (our) way.

Cheers

I think the only downfall would be is that it would be a slower start to fermentation if you didn't use a starter...

When my fermenting fridge held two fermenters i used to only ferment at 16.5C, as i always had a coopers clone in there.

That PDF contradicts a lot of the info in circulation on here; in particular the high temperatures. Any one care to comment on this?

Doesn't a slow start due to low pitching temp cause off flavours? Should you not be aiming for pitching at slightly above the temp you want to ferment at and then bring the temp down when it starts bubbling through the airlock??

Doesn't a slow start due to low pitching temp cause off flavours? Should you not be aiming for pitching at slightly above the temp you want to ferment at and then bring the temp down when it starts bubbling through the airlock??

As long as you rehydrate, you will have plenty of yeast - this wont be a problem. Pitching at higher than ferment temps is not recommended. Fusel alcohols from high temps are produced during the growth stage (beginning).

Nup, other way around. It is standard commercial practice to start low with proper pitching rates and let the ferment free rise. Dropping it back is like shutting a bar early in a Friday night, all the yeast will be reved up and get cranky (floc out, excess excess production etc)

Scotty

Latest posts

Back