Urgent Beer Emergency!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
With this appallingly hot weather making heavy beer consumption a must, school holidays chewing up valuable brewign time with 'family activities' AND christmassacre BBQs everywhere, my beer supplies are dangerously low!

Add top that two infected batches of APA and Golden ale and Im waaaaay behind.

All I have left now are HG Belgians and English Barley wines that Im trying to store for a few more months.
Last night we even resorted to buying a carton of Coopers from the local!

I have two 25litre and one 30 litre fermenter, plenty of grain, some DME and wheat extract and a swag of tasty yeasts and hops.

What to do to get the stocks up quickly?

I dont care if its k&k, extract or AG
These are dire times.
I want to see a hundred litres ready soon!

Weizen. Grain to brain in under 7 days, maybe 4 or 5.

Use a "fast" yeast like wyeast 1968 special London. I've had batches that dropped crystal clear in the carboy, like they were filtered, 5 days after pitching. I've found that low-to-modestly hopped beers tend to hit their sweet spot, consumption-wise, faster.

Hope this helps.

Fresh wort kits are the easiest way to get good beer quickly (if you don't have time for an AG session).
Not the cheapest, but great when you're low on supplies.
Just add a little grain and hops of your liking to make the style you're after.
Failing that, get the freshest kit you can find (from a HBS or supermarket with good turnover) - Best before date is written on the bottom.
Use a good yeast and ferment at the low end.

FWIW, I found the Coopers Euro Lager quite a good drop for a kit. S189, brew to 4.5%, and add a mini boil of Hallertau/Saaz and you get quite a respectable k+k lager, ready to drink in a couple of weeks.

Hope you get through these dark times SB!

Hefeweizen all the way

+1

Equal amounts of pilsner and wheat malt - easy as!

English style ales - just ordinary bitters and pale ales - 1040 to 1048OG, medium hop levels. Brew one week (maybe less), age one week, start drinking.

In a rush, you could probably bottle after 4-5 days with the right yeast, age 5 days, and drink, so 10 days total. Not far behind the weizens. :icon_cheers:

DON'T do a lager... <_<

English style ales - just ordinary bitters and pale ales - 1040 to 1048OG, medium hop levels. Brew one week (maybe less), age one week, start drinking.

In a rush, you could probably bottle after 4-5 days with the right yeast, age 5 days, and drink, so 10 days total. Not far behind the weizens. :icon_cheers:

DON'T do a lager... <_<

That's not bad advice, I recently did a bitter with 1469...it was drinkable at about 2 weeks. That yeast clears really quick.

I've had lagers ready to drink in about 3 weeks, 2124 seems to ferment quick and clear quick too. Tasted pretty damn good too.

For a quick and easy kit, the Coopers Mexican Cervaza is a nice drop if you like the style. The Coopers yeast is hardy and brews quickly in the upper ranges of its temperature. Add 1 tin of Lyle's Golden syrup for a light/mid strength, or 2 for a full strength beer.

Easy to drink, mine are going as quickly as I can make them.

Crundle

Edit: Just checked the fermenter in the bathroom, put down on Tuesday, finished fermenting completely this morning, being chilled and gassed as I type this, ready to drink by late tonight.

Id go for a fairly highly hopped Pale Ale, ferment out with a big starter or S-05, crash cool after 5 days, keg on the 6th day, force carb and gelatine, wait one hour, drink :beerbang:

Coopers Bavarian (if you can find one) made with 1kg DME, a few darker specialty grains, 20~30g worth of your favourite noble hop, and US-05. If no Bavarian, go Real Ale or Euro Lager at your discretion.

Ferment = 7, plus 14 days bottle aging. Kegs? 10 days max from mind to mouth.

- boingk

Reason for edit: Thpelin'.

Cool, guys.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I reckon itll be coles kits plus whatever I can scrounge together at home.
Another hot weekend means I wont be brewing inside.
I do all my stuff on the stove top at the moment, and while lovely in winter, leaves something to be desired in summer.
Man, will I have some brewing to catch up on during the Autumn and then Spring, to stop this from happening next year!

I'd go the weizen, pale ale, or anything with a big starter of 1056. ferment @18-20 for a quick-ish ferment. crash chill, rack, force carb and serve. drinking within a week.

another good one is a cream ale i did

Ale Malt 37 %
Pilsner 37%
Kibbled/Flaked Corn/Maize 14%
Carafoam Grain 6%
Cane Sugar 6 %

15.00 gm US Northern Brewer [6.20%] (60 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
20.00 gm US Northern Brewer [6.20%] (20 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
10.00 gm US Northern Brewer [6.20%] (0 min) Hops -

left cloudy was very much like coopers pale.

Infact a cream ale is the next thing to exit my cube as soon as my pilsner finishes fermenting! (damn past 4 weeks now!)

Speed brewing article at BYO magazine. Low gravity, low hop is the go.
I'd go simple ale or hefe (60:40 wheat:Barley malt) with a good dry yeast. Ferment three - four days, crash chill and keg.
I've done this a few times and its drinking on the 6th day.

1 x can Cooper's light malt extract
1 x can Cooper's Amber malt extract
200g of crystal of some sort
let your imagination go wild with hops
US-05, S-04, Nottingham according to what grabs your interest.

A good result for the time-poor brewer.

+1 on a Bitter with 1469. Super quick yeast.

What you could do is a smashing big partial.....just do it as a single batch AG, but double your hopping. Twice the weight on the late addition, twice the overall IBU for the volume....then split it between the two fermenters, and top it up with water and extract back to the original OG. Super quick catch up beer. If you do the recipe as 1040 OG in 23L, when you split it in half, 1 tin of 1.5kg LME and topped back to 23L in each fermenter brings it back to 1040 again. Easy peasy partial. ;)

Nice BYO artikkle there
, and butters, I have to say, I like your idea, but I dont want to hit the stove tomorrow the beach is going to be too inviting.

Fresh wort kits
Buy like 4 of them, pour 1/4 to 1/3 of each into a fermentor(workout the ratios),
Top each wort kit up with correct ratio of water
Top up the fermentor, Add some air locks, and ale yeast
and you have 5 batches running, which will be ready in a week.

Or start using 44gallon drums for AG :wub:

QldKev

Back