Upright Deep Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irwazza

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Anther question for you..... I have just been given an upright deep freezer. The cooling comes through a select few of the shelves. Lucky enough there is the perfect amout of space to fit 4 x bunnings fermenters. I have hooked up a STC - 1000 to control the temperature. I'm currently running the freezer at 4 degrees to crash chill some brews. The issue i'm getting is lots and lots of condensation.

Does anyone else have these issues? Is it just a bad choice for a fermentation / crash chilling fridge? is there anything that can be done?

Regards
Brenton

Hey Guys

Anther question for you..... I have just been given an upright deep freezer. The cooling comes through a select few of the shelves. Lucky enough there is the perfect amout of space to fit 4 x bunnings fermenters. I have hooked up a STC - 1000 to control the temperature. I'm currently running the freezer at 4 degrees to crash chill some brews. The issue i'm getting is lots and lots of condensation.

Does anyone else have these issues? Is it just a bad choice for a fermentation / crash chilling fridge? is there anything that can be done?

Regards
Brenton

there are a few good threads on here addressing this issue - a problem that I also have in my chest freezer/kegging fridge. When i've been using selleys moisture absorbers, it stays dry, but these last about a week, and havent been able to source a large amount of these substance yet, so it isnt really an economic way of keeping the freezer dry.

Having the moisture absorber in there will help alot. Damprid and stuff like that can be got in bulk at the big green shed.

Minimising the opening and closing the freezer will help the most, problem with uprights are that when you open the door all that nice cold air is heavy and "spills" out being replaced by warmer air. When that chills the moisture in the air condenses and pools in the bottom.

Swimming pool shops sell Hardness Increaser which I believe is the same make up as Damp Rid, Calcium Chloride.

Cheaper to buy in bulk from them.

I haven't tried this yet but will soon.

box of bi-carb works wonders and is cheap

Thanks guys, i'll give the bicarb a go and try and source some damp rid.

Back