Two-stage Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjw21

Reaction score
Hi Lads - I have just acquired a second keg. I'm still a k&k brewer with a little experimentation here & there. I've been told that by doing secondary in another keg, I should be able to reduce sediment, but can't exactly work out how I should do this.

Would it be best to use the little bottler when primary has stopped to transfer this to the 2nd keg with sugar at the rate of 7g/740mL?

Then how will I actually bottle & acheive carbonation?

Should I put an airlock in the 2nd keg or completely seal it?

Any advice more than welcome.

Cheers, Pete

pjw21 said:
Hi Lads - I have just acquired a second keg. I'm still a k&k brewer with a little experimentation here & there. I've been told that by doing secondary in another keg, I should be able to reduce sediment, but can't exactly work out how I should do this.

Any advice more than welcome.

Cheers, Pete
Do a search on racking

OK - I have had a read around on racking. I have more questions...

1. I have no temperature control as yet, consensus for racking seems to be either a: at the end of airlock activity on primary or b: after 7-10 days which is when I would usually bottle. Is it appropriate to do my primary on the k&k for 7 days, then rack for another week without temperature control?

2. At transfer from primary to secondary, is it best to simply use the tap on the keg or better to siphon to reduce oxygenation and mixing?

3. After racking do I follow my usual bottling protocol, ie add 7g of sugar to each 740mL for carbonation in the bottles?

Thanks, Pete

i'm getting confused, are you talking about kegs (metal)
or fermenters (plastic drums)?

Guess I should get my lingo right - fermenters of the plastic kind

Pete,

when the primary fermentation is coming to an end but not stopped ,transfer the beer to the other sanitised container, dont leave a big airspace ,and yes fit an airlock ,let it continue to ferment this is called secondary fermentation,when it stops, put the container in a fridge if you can and get the temperature down to 2-5c for a week or so the yeast will drop out of suspension, then bottle as normal adding your sugar to the bottles , if you wish you can 'bulk prime' your beer by transfer the beer back to another sterilised fermenter and add 130 grams of dissolved dextrose stir gently and then bottle .

Pumpy

After primary has finished(lets say 7 days)Transfer beer via tap with hose that touches bottom of 2nd container to avoid oxidizing.Store @ the same temp as primary for 3/4 days.Pop in the fridge to cc for 2/3 days.Pull out and allow to reach room temp and bottle as usual with bulk prime or sugar in bottle.

Latest posts

Back