Two Hearted IPA - Beersmith

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it or not, there's still some left in the keg.
It was kegged on 2nd April, ie. exactly one 1 month ago, and the taste is even better.
Don't know why this beer tastes so good, possibly the centennial.

I would like another brewer to make this beer, and see the comments.
Bloody good.

Believe it or not, there's still some left in the keg.
It was kegged on 2nd April, ie. exactly one 1 month ago, and the taste is even better.
Don't know why this beer tastes so good, possibly the centennial.

I would like another brewer to make this beer, and see the comments.
Bloody good.

Dont worry, your rave review has made me bump this up my to-brew list. Its my brew after next.

Do love me some centennial!

My recent IIPA had 1.8kg of fresh hops in it and just a hint (~125g) of pellets! ;)

How did you use the fresh hops? All my brews this year with fresh cascade / chinook were disappointing. A bit too "green". I tried different hopping schedules, including none in the boil and all whirlpool to no avail. All were fresh hops and undried / undehydrated.

OK, I am prepared to give this a go.
BUT where oh where can I find the recipe?

How did you use the fresh hops? All my brews this year with fresh cascade / chinook were disappointing. A bit too "green". I tried different hopping schedules, including none in the boil and all whirlpool to no avail. All were fresh hops and undried / undehydrated.

I picked the hops the night before and stored them in my large grainbag in the fridge overnight. Then I basically popped another grain bag back in the kettle and added 250g of the hallertau at 15/10/5/0 mins each. Then the other 800g went in at whirlpool for another 25 mins, lifted the bag and drained. I was worried about that green flavour you mentioned but I didn't get any of that, I have had that before though and I think that was with cascade as well.. ??

My DIPA came out really well, was super happy with it but it didn't go down as well at the comp I entered it into, not too badly but I think the non-formal judges probably had a preference for saisons and other more traditional beers - this was a BIG beer, everyone else who had it loved it and I trust their opinion more.. I will be giving this Two Hearted IPA a run when I get back from the US I reckon..

peterlonz, Look at post no 4, the link is there

@krz where did you get the Denny’s favourite 50 #wy1450 yeast from mate? I bought the other ingredients this morning and my LHBS doesn’t stock it and can’t find it online in Australia.
cheers

@krz where did you get the Denny’s favourite 50 #wy1450 yeast from mate? I bought the other ingredients this morning and my LHBS doesn’t stock it and can’t find it online in Australia.
cheers

Actually, I used US-05 instead of Denny's. Apparently the same strain.

Please let me know how your brew tastes when its done.

Actually, I used US-05 instead of Denny's. Apparently the same strain.

Please let me know how your brew tastes when its done.

Denny's is definitely not the same yeast as US-05. Denny's leaves much more character in the beer, both malt and hops, than does US-05 or its liquid equivalents.
Trust me, I've used both many times, and prefer Denny's.
Another good alternative is American Ale II.

Denny's is definitely not the same yeast as US-05. Denny's leaves much more character in the beer, both malt and hops, than does US-05 or its liquid equivalents.
Trust me, I've used both many times, and prefer Denny's.
Another good alternative is American Ale II.

Cheers @philrob I think I’ve sourced some Denny’s so I’ll be using that.

My LHBS stocks white labs so I was going to go with 008 - east coast ale when I brew mine

Check out the Bell's Brewery website. They sell a home brew kit with the recipe (sheet attached). I've brewed this twice and had the real deal at the brewery and elsewhere through out the states and it is perfect imo!

https://store.bellsbeer.com/collect...wo-hearted-ale-clone-all-grain-ingredient-kit

Edit - Attached my Brewfather BeerXML to make it easier again to scale to your system or batch size and efficiency etc

Attachments

• Two_Hearted_All_Grain_Recipe.pdf
    308.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Brewfather_BeerXML_BellswebsiteTwoHeartedIPA_20190508.xml
    8.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Check out the Bell's Brewery website. They sell a home brew kit with the recipe (sheet attached). I've brewed this twice and had the real deal at the brewery and elsewhere through out the states and it is perfect imo!

https://store.bellsbeer.com/collect...wo-hearted-ale-clone-all-grain-ingredient-kit

Interesting, when comparing the ingredients to the Beersmith recipe , its close but not exact.
For example, Beersmith calls for
  • more Cara-pils,
  • the use of also Cascade and Centenniel for dry hopping.
  • Dennys Favourite yeast instead of Bells yeast. (funny, they say use US05 too)
Im wondering if this really is the recipe?

Interesting, when comparing the ingredients to the Beersmith recipe , its close but not exact.
For example, Beersmith calls for
  • more Cara-pils,
  • the use of also Cascade and Centenniel for dry hopping.
  • Dennys Favourite yeast instead of Bells yeast. (funny, they say use US05 too)
Im wondering if this really is the recipe?
They haven't updated the pdf. If you look at the webpage they say

- This kit does NOT include yeast. We recommend one of the following:

Imperial Yeast A62 Bell's House Yeast

When cloning a recipe I'll take the recipe provided by the brewery itself.

They haven't updated the pdf. If you look at the webpage they say

- This kit does NOT include yeast. We recommend one of the following:

Imperial Yeast A62 Bell's House Yeast

When cloning a recipe I'll take the recipe provided by the brewery itself.

From their description on their website

https://www.bellsbeer.com/beer/year-round/two-hearted-ale

Brewed with 100% Centennial hops from the Pacific Northwest and named after the Two Hearted River in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, this IPA is bursting with hop aromas ranging from pine to grapefruit from massive hop additions in both the kettle and the fermenter.

Perfectly balanced with a malt backbone and combined with the signature fruity aromas of Bell's house yeast, this beer is remarkably drinkable and well suited for adventures everywhere.

Alcohol By Volume: 7.00%

Original Gravity: 1.065

Shelf Life: 6 Months

Hey Dilligaf, how did your no-chill batch end up? Very interested as I'm about to begin BIAB & no-chill. Cheers

Back