Tubing for gas and liquid lines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muz

Reaction score
Hi all

When I built my keezer I didn't really pay too much attention to what tubing I used for what purpose. I had a lot of 4mm ID tubing that I used for my liquid lines and I used this for the gas too. Some connections I used Kegland Duotight push fittings and others I used barbs with ring clamps. I thought using the same size tubing would make things easier but the 4mm doesn't really work will with the manifold.

I'm thinking of re-doing the whole thing and thinking through what tubing I use for what purpose.

I'm thinking I need:

One type of tubing for gas
One type for liquid transferring (keg to keg, fermenter to keg, closed transfers etc.
One type for serving/tap lines (4mm ID)

Also, I'm thinking the duotight fittings are the best way to go for all connections. Is there any connection people wouldn't use these for? Is there any advantage using barbs and sealing with those pincer ring clamps?

Just after what other people do and any advice you might have.

Thanks,

B.

Last edited:
Hey Muz. For years I've used 6mm id vinyl tubing, from Bunnings, for my gas lines. It's softer than beer line and it is a very neat fit onto the barbs on my gas disconnects on the kegs. It is about 9mm od so to big for duo tights. No clamps and it washes up easily and doesn't leak at the fittings.
For beer line I use 5mm id valpar or whatever it is from the home brew store. I use push connect MFL fittings to go onto the keg disconnects. I recently got some of those ss disconnects with the adjustable flow on them as I plan to cut down on the 2.4 mtrs of 5mm on my beer lines. I've never used the clamps but I believe they are very reliable.

Similar to Razz for me. I use the Bunnings 6mm id vinyl tubing for gas, it's cheap, flexible, good size and handles the temperatures of keezers freezing over just fine. For my beer line I use 5 meters of 4mm Valpar Flexmaster, which is a lot if you use the calculators, but I've found it's better to have more than less, it just slows it down a little.

I've removed almost all push in fittings from my system, with the exception of some in use on my secondary regs. I found them too finicky to get good seals on consistently if you're changing around tubs frequently. So, somewhat ironically, my push in / quick connect fittings are for the permanent fittings only... I use MFL fittings for the gas lines, as I have a few manifolds set to different pressures, so I can easily switch them around without damage and ensuring a good seal each time. For my beer lines, I've just got them attached to barbs on both ends, ball lock fitting, then the large connection to the tap shank. I've not really needed to switch out the beer lines for anything other than what's been made up, so these are just static in size, I just remove them from the keezer when not in use.

Transfers I use Bunnings Vinyl tube, again, but with MFL fittings on the ends to get a good seal. I also have some Flexmaster tubing to use for transfers, but never really find it necessary, there isn't enough contact time with the vinyl for any of the traditional problems associated with it to arise.

Hi all

When I built my keezer I didn't really pay too much attention to what tubing I used for what purpose. I had a lot of 4mm ID tubing that I used for my liquid lines and I used this for the gas too. Some connections I used Kegland Duotight push fittings and others I used barbs with ring clamps. I thought using the same size tubing would make things easier but the 4mm doesn't really work will with the manifold.

I'm thinking of re-doing the whole thing and thinking through what tubing I use for what purpose.

I'm thinking I need:

One type of tubing for gas
One type for liquid transferring (keg to keg, fermenter to keg, closed transfers etc.
One type for serving/tap lines (4mm ID)

Also, I'm thinking the duotight fittings are the best way to go for all connections. Is there any connection people wouldn't use these for? Is there any advantage using barbs and sealing with those pincer ring clamps?

Just after what other people do and any advice you might have.

Thanks,

B.
Dave Carpenter from Craft Beer & Brewing explains everything on the subject all in one place, in a calm, precise, muppet proof presentation.Quote: "In this video, you'll learn how to build, maintain, and troubleshoot your home draft system. Whether you are building your beer dispensing setup from scratch or have purchased a ready-to-go kegerator, this video will show you, quite literally, the nuts and bolts of draft system maintenance." End Quote.

Back