Tt Landlord Ale Yeast Successful Culture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finite

All Grain Gremlin
Reaction score
Well after getting a bottle through a BA swap I loved this beer and was curious if I could culture up the yeast After reading this thread it seemed to be easier to buy the liquid yeast from whitelabs but I thought I would have a go anyway. Some say its pasturised but others say you can still get a culture from beers that have been apparently pasturised.

Anyway for the hell of it I had a go.

I noticed after about 3 days there was more yeast than I started so every day I kept giving it a little swirll to rouse the yeast up, anyway its been in the brew room for about 10 days and I forgot about it for about three days untill I remembered today and what would you know....we have a krausen people!

Lots more yeast now....what would you guys think about setpping this up, giving it an acid wash then trying a brew with it? Im pretty keen to have a go for the hell of it.

topTT.jpg

TTdie.jpg

TTbottom.jpg

that brings me to my next question...where can I buy phosphoric acid suitable for acid washing yeast?

edit: typo

How does it smell and taste? It sounds like a fairly long lag time. Not necessarily a problem, but it could be that you have a wild yeast contamination there rather than the TT yeast. What volume starter did you use?

Personally, I've never bothered with acid washing, but I've also had some disasters with culturing up from commercial bottles so maybe there could be some point in it. :lol: You should be able to get some phosphoric acid from your LHBS.

Good work Finite! Looks like you have a decent sample of yeast there - the question is whether it's the same strain as what they ferment (and carbonate) their beer with. I'd sniff and sip to make sure that it's not infected and then brew a batch.

For comparison, you could then repeat the brew using a smackpack of 1469 West Yorkshire Ale yeast available here....

Cheers,
TL

what will it smell like if its infected?

It varies. If it smells sour (not just yeasty), or makes you want to heave, then best not to put it in your beer. :p Try to take a sample when the yeast has settled as the yeast in a shaken up sample is not that pleasant IMO and will dominate the flavour.

Just smelt it...its definatley wild yeast. :) Smells like rotting lemons and yeast

Back