True Marzen Colour Without Crystal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers, mate.

Sounds good, Nev.
:icon_offtopic: Jyo, Here is my Vienna, still cloudy but its only been kegged a few weeks.
Nev
ViennaLager.JPG

What a beautiful colour.
:icon_offtopic: You asked for it you got it.
Hope you make it one day.
Nevs Vienna
Vienna 75.3%
Pils 8.9%
Cara Red 1.4%
Cara Helle 8.9%
Acidulated 5.5 %

32L @ 25 IBU
Styrian Golding 19.8 IBU @ 60 min
CZ Saaz 5.4 IBU @ 20 min
CZ Saaz 45gm after flame out.
Wyeast 2308, its made for this beer !
Ferment very low to start 6C , let it warm up slowly as you reach the end of ferment.
The rest of the recipe will depend on your brewing systems.
Nev

:icon_offtopic: You asked for it you got it.
Hope you make it one day.
Nevs Vienna
Vienna 75.3%
Pils 8.9%
Cara Red 1.4%
Cara Helle 8.9%
Acidulated 5.5 %

32L @ 25 IBU
Styrian Golding 19.8 IBU @ 60 min
CZ Saaz 5.4 IBU @ 20 min
CZ Saaz 45gm after flame out.
Wyeast 2308, its made for this beer !
Ferment very low to start 6C , let it warm up slowly as you reach the end of ferment.
The rest of the recipe will depend on your brewing systems.
Nev

Thanks for that. Interesting! Goldings and Saaz in the same beer mmm :icon_drool2: I wonder how you would manage the flameout addition in a no/slow-chill system? Half at flameout, half dry hopped?

6c woah. I usually ferment lagers at 10-12c. Do you find this process responsible for any particular taste changes?

Thanks for that. Interesting! Goldings and Saaz in the same beer mmm :icon_drool2: I wonder how you would manage the flameout addition in a no/slow-chill system? Half at flameout, half dry hopped?

6c woah. I usually ferment lagers at 10-12c. Do you find this process responsible for any particular taste changes?
Styrian Goldings (not UK Goldings) were typically used in Marzen/Octo and Vienna styles back went these styles were popular. You could add late kettle additions when you turn off heat, not really a problem but you will lose some aroma by no chilling, Saaz is not a good dry hopping option, it gets all grassy.. 10c will be fine but the lower you get the less ferment by products you will get = cleaner finish.
Nev

Styrian Goldings (not UK Goldings) were typically used in Marzen/Octo and Vienna styles back went these styles were popular. You could add late kettle additions when you turn off heat, not really a problem but you will lose some aroma by no chilling, Saaz is not a good dry hopping option, it gets all grassy.. 10c will be fine but the lower you get the less ferment by products you will get = cleaner finish.
Nev

I love styrian goldings :)

Just wondering about the acid malt. I've never used it before - I've just managed mash ph with salts (because my water is devoid of minerals anyway). How do you go about calculating the quantity? And if you removed it from your grist, how would you compensate?

I love styrian goldings :)

Just wondering about the acid malt. I've never used it before - I've just managed mash ph with salts (because my water is devoid of minerals anyway). How do you go about calculating the quantity? And if you removed it from your grist, how would you compensate?
If your pH is fine then replace with the Pils. Perth water is a bit base ~8pH so I use about 5% acid malt which gives me 5-2 to 5-4 ph mash.
Nev

If your pH is fine then replace with the Pils. Perth water is a bit base ~8pH so I use about 5% acid malt which gives me 5-2 to 5-4 ph mash.
Nev

Ahhh ok. Yeah my water is spot on neutral, so whatever salts I need to get calcium up is usually enough for paler beers.

What mash format/temp do you use for this one?

but it was 8:30pm Irish time, my body clock is just strugling with the change over.

Looks interesting, The Czech national dish is pork & dumplings, the Slovak national dish is pork & dumplings, makes you wonder why they ever split Czechoslvakia up. Is it restaurant only or can you go in just for the beer?

I think it's restaurant and bar but not sure. The food is great though - just don't fool yourself into thinking your stomach can hold 3 courses.

Iralosavic: Duvel uses styrians and saaz from memory (as does a couple of my Belgians, including my duvel homage).

Lovely combo.

Back