Trial Brew Using Amarillo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JM, I think all your kits you sell to real craft brewers should be part mash and light malt extract.
Anything less is for beginners.
I believe there is no place in craft brewing for anything but light, VERY FRESH malt extract and only to a max of 60% the rest should be grain.
I cannot believe people with years of brewing behind them would still use a darker extract and even make all extract beers.

The porters i make are from this century and the last century i employ the now age old practice of the drum kilned roasted malts.
one day i'll do one the way they did 200 years ago but i haven't found anything to say that anybody still does it that way exept for very few.
Guinness the most famous and inovative brewery of all time for porters changed from brown to roasted as soon as it was invented some 100s of years ago and never looked back.
This is the theory I go by and I have made some wicked porters.
All that said I have been planning on doing a 1/3 each pale,amber,brown. but like i said there must be a reason nobody does it like this anymore.

OH there is, its because someone invented a roasting drum.

Jayse(sorry hijacked thread)

Oh dear oh dear

Good old progress, what did that lead us to? Oh yeah, VB and West End Draught.

1/3 each, hope you got enzymes to add to that.

Hmmm Brown Malt puts a nice bit of "bite" into dark beers

Can't make every Pack a partmash, but I think mine are the "purest" of any shop in Adelaide: no dried corn syrup AT ALL in ANY of my Packs, grains in most. I don't stock the Morgans 1Kg cans of gloop to improve a 1.7Kg can of gloop. Customers certainly rave about the beers they are making, and when they decide on what can+Pack they then ask me "what yeast should I use?" as they know I have much better yeasts than the lil ole packets under the lid of the cans.

You want to be more purist than that, open your own shop!

hehehehhehehehehe

Jovial Monk
Feeling no pain at all after a half bottle of Noon's finest red.

Jovial_Monk said:
Oh dear oh dear
Keep up the good work.
Iam only digging myself a grave for some other brewers to throw me in. :ph34r:
Black malt is wicked in porter. I will use brown malt don't worry about that.

As for your kits iam just having a dig at some other 'kits and bits' brewers who should know better. :blink:

Jayse

Hmmm. Interesting debate, gents.

Sipping my 40% extract porter atm. Nice.

jayse said:
Oh yeah the yakima chief OG 1.071 and a million IBU with 30 hop additions is tasting unreal.
I got full attenuation with 1272 which is a f.g of 1.017-1.016.
The melanoidin malt really balanced out this huge beer.

I mixed the amarillo with cascade though so not a true test of the hop.
But they smell and taste unreal.
Iam just drinking it straight from the primary.
You'll freak when you have a taste of this beer guys.
with or without 'randall'

Jayse
Jayse,

Is this the Yakima Chief Demon Ale in the recipe database ?
If it is then I think I'll have to track down some Magnum or Simcoe hops and give it a go.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,

Thats the one, its simcoe not magnum i'll go and change that. I just put magnum because it was done on the first day of the recipe data base when simcoe wasn't in the list and I didn't have access to beable to add other ingredients.

I have never actaully used magnum before.

By the way this recipe I owe cj in j the brewer in japan on the U.S forums for inspiration for this beer.
He uses 1026 cask ale which I should be getting within the next week.
He also uses 61 hop additions for his big hop trickler beer.
Check this thread. theres 8 pages or so.
http://forums.homebrew.com/index.php?s=&ac...ouse%20ipa&st=0

Cheers Jayse

Just to vary the all Goldings or all Fuggles nature of the Durden Park Beer book recipes, thinking of brewing the OG 1145 Burton Old Ale with all Amarillos and mebbe 50g Sterling dryhops.

Should be stunning blend of old and new, or a waste of 32Kg of Halcyon :)

Jovial Monk

I haven't seen the recipes you speak of JM. I know you won't be dissapointed with amarillo though.
But jeez that is one big beer. Will you put the hops in with a shovel?

Jayse

*UPDATE*

I whacked my Amarillo Alt into a keg last night ready to carbonate. It had been sitting in my keg fridge for 7 weeks of which 5 of those weeks the fridge hadn't been touched. Once in the keg I found a huge whack of frozen beer in the conditioning cube, I guess it to be roughly 3 to 4 litres of beer/ice. So I had a sample and it is nothing like what I expected, the hop bitterness is overpowered by some flavours which are akin to a Strong Belgian Ale :huh:. What I believe has occurred is the beer freezing has concentrated the alcohol content(originally 5.3%). It reminded me of my Duvel clone from last year somewhat.
So I have an Alt fermented with European Ale yeast tasting like a Belgian Beer. And I am fairly sure it isn't an infection.
Will be interested to have jayse's and chillers opinion of this on Sunday.

As for the Amarillo, I will do a SFPA with it later in the year.

C&B
TDA

TDA, you have created an Eis-Alt.
Similar to an Eisbock

Sounds really interesting.

Beers,
Doc

Yeah, I had a look earlier on the web and came up with same.
Eis-Alt. I wonder if there is a way to formulate the new alcohol level?

C&B
TDA

Yes there is. But it may be a bit hard to work backwards.

Here is an example from BYO on brewing Eisbocks.

Let's assume that you started out before fermentation with a doppelbock wort of OG 1.078, which ended at an FG of 1.020. This brew has an alcohol content of roughly 7.4% avb. Let's further assume that you ended up with exactly 4.5 gallons (17 litres or 576 fl.oz) of finished beer after racking which means that you have about 42.624 fl.oz. (576 fl.oz x 7.4%) (1.26 litres) of alcohol dispersed in your beer.
To determine the volume you need to end up with after the removal of ice crystal, assuming that you are aiming for a 10%abv eisbock, divide the amount of alcohol (42.624 fl.oz or 1.26 litres) by the target avb (10% in our case). The result is 426.25 fl.oz (12.6 litres).

So I make the formula from the above description to be:

final volume of beer = amount of alcohol in the beer/target alcohol %

HTH,
Doc

Sounds interesting TDA,
Iam thinking that if you had have defrosted the ice in the cube then added that in the keg it would return to the normal alc level.
But maybe the ice in the cube might have taken in some O2 while defrosting in a cube only 1/4 full. I guess you could fill the cube up with CO2 then let it defrost and had it back.

I don't know if that sounds like a good idea but thats what i came up with.
Re calculating the alc, now iam thinking work out what the og for the beer would have been with 4 litres less.
ie say it was o.g 1.050 at 20 litres for around 5.3%alc.
Then in 16 litres it would be 1.062 so around 7%alc in 16litres.
Don't now if this works or makes sense but seems to be on the right track.

Cheers Jayse

jayse, I let the iced up portion defrost and bottled it, don't know how it will turn out. The Eis-Alt I left as is and am gassing it up as we speak ready for Sunday. I actually enjoyed how it tasted so didn't want to fanny about with defrosting etc. in case it all went pear shaped.

C&B
TDA

I wonder if the iced one even has any alc in it.
maybe you have made eis-alt and birrel.

Cheers Jayse

Big D,

finally got around to using the hops (long time waiting i know), but i must say, even after two days in the primary, it tastes so good. An awesome hop indeed,

guess i'll be talking to dave and ordering myself some of these little puppies for the next lcpa clone brew.

thanks for the hops.

bonk :chug:

An update on the Eis Alt, I had left half a keg of this beer out of the beer fridge for about 6 weeks. It went back into the fridge on Wednesday and I got stuck into it last night. It is a really, really tasty drop. You don't notice any bitterness in the beer, it's just malty, sweet and smooth. I calculated that the alcohol content would be 6.3%. I had 4 pints last night and slept like a baby!
Definately going to brew this again.

C&B
TDA

Latest posts

Back