Trappist Rochefort 10 Cross Lucifer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsta

Reaction score
The other night i tipped the dregs of a lucifer beer in with the dregs of a trappist rochefort 10, i put it in a starter today, this is the first time i've tried mixing yeasts. Im keen to get home and see if its active. Anyone know anything about lucifer yeast? Is the yeast in the bottle the primary golden ale strain?
I hope it takes off they've both got really good characteristics.

I don't know anything about either, but a few thoughts do spring immediately to mind.

Firstly, from such high alcohol beers you're likely to have to be patient on your recultiring time. That and not entirely confident on the yeast being in a perfect state of health.

Secondly, that one yeast might be better than the other and dominate the starter and hence the fermentation. There's probably no way of telling if this will happen.

Thirdly, are the bottling strains the same strain as the fermentation?

And fourthly, i hope you enjoy the beer.

Kai said:
I don't know anything about either, but a few thoughts do spring immediately to mind.

Firstly, from such high alcohol beers you're likely to have to be patient on your recultiring time. That and not entirely confident on the yeast being in a perfect state of health.

Secondly, that one yeast might be better than the other and dominate the starter and hence the fermentation. There's probably no way of telling if this will happen.

Thirdly, are the bottling strains the same strain as the fermentation?

And fourthly, i hope you enjoy the beer.
[post="94896"][/post]​

Yeh i put them in a little 100ml starter to start off with and if they like that i'll top it up slowly. I know that the Trappist Rochfort is the same strain as i am sure i read this in "brew like a monk" but i cant remember what they stated about the lucifer strain???? And i've lent the book to a friend so i cant check it either! :rolleyes:

Clearly the lesson from this is to never lend your brewing books to anyone, ever.

Kai said:
Clearly the lesson from this is to never lend your brewing books to anyone, ever.
[post="94904"][/post]​

So true! :angry: Never lend a brewing/anthing about beer book, even to a mate. :(
You beat me to it Kai. :D

hijack....

I lost a good friend due to this. I don't lend anything brewing to anyone now.

Rochefort is wyeast 1762 - belgian abbey II, and its a bloody nice yeast too.

lucifer has preservatives in the ingredients list - my guess would be that it's pasteurised and has been reseeded with a bottom fermenter - but that's just a guess.

if you're not sure about the yeasts i would let each of them grow separately first to check if they work first before mixing em. you might end up with some strange results.

friends of mine have used the rochefort yeast from the bottle with amazing results in the past - it seemed to survive living in a bottle full of 11% beer pretty well. i would go for the freshest bottle you can find though.

good luck

well unfortunately no yeast activity in 24hrs i think its safe to say the yeasties have died. They've had to chew through a lot of sugars so im not surprised, thats not going to stop me from trying again though, i'll try and find a fresher bottle as neonmate says.

Cheers,
Hopsta

Hopsta said:
well unfortunately no yeast activity in 24hrs i think its safe to say the yeasties have died.
[post="95124"][/post]​

i wouldnt give up just yet, ive had bottle yeasts take a few days to get going. a watched starter never krusens as they say.

24 hours is nowhere near long enough to wait, leave it a few days at least

neonmeate said:
lucifer has preservatives in the ingredients list - my guess would be that it's pasteurised and has been reseeded with a bottom fermenter - but that's just a guess.

what preseervatives are listed?

Kai said:
what preseervatives are listed?
[post="95148"][/post]​

i haven't got the bottle here but i remember 2 or 3 numbers in the ingredients list, mightve been E330 etc. do you know what the codes mean?
i'll check the bottle next time i'm down at amatos

I can work out the codes easily enough if you can list them. 330 is citric acid, nothing serious or artificial.

Kai said:
I can work out the codes easily enough if you can list them. 330 is citric acid, nothing serious or artificial.
[post="95196"][/post]​

ah so the belgians like the old curaao orange peel for a reason...

I tipped the dregs from two more trappist rochefort bottles into the starter and its going great guns almost time to step it up a bit. Id say the trappist yeast has well and truly taken over the lucifer by now. It loves this warm weather too, its sitting at ~26C* and frothing away nicely.
Cant wait to use it!
Cheers,
Nathan

Back