Trappist Ale Ag Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmcgregor

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this forum, and not long in AG (4 brews)

Looking for some suggestions for a trappist ale
I was looking at using only what I have on hand and came up with this

3kg Pale Malt
1kg wheat malt
300g amber amlt
100g chocolate malt
800gms golden syrup (just cause i have it)

using POR hops to bitter
and Hallertauer Traditional for aroma and flavour
not sure yet on amounts (looking at ~10g POR and 20g Hal to suit style according to Promash, but it seems too little?)
also have Perl on hand

all for a 15-20litre brew

any suggestions, comments, etc

Cheers and beers

MACA

Bin the POR, use goldings to bitter and keep the hallertau.
I have just used whitelabs 530 Abbey Ale yeast and was very happy with it, what gravity are you aiming at?
And by the way the style nazis may get you for calling it a "Trappist," unless you are a monk you will have to make do with "Abbey"

Depends on the style of ale you're trying to make. The trappist beers from each brewery are drastically different, ranging from pale low ABV blondes through to dark high ABV beers.

Gathering the ingredients you've picked so far you're trying to make a belgian strong ale. I'd ditch the chocolate and substitute the golden syrup for candi sugar or invert sugar.

Dont use POR as the primary bittering hop unless youre using very low amounts (ie 20IBU or so).

The yeast makes a big difference with these beers, so choose carefully as it can drastically change the flavour profile :)

Thanks guys,

I guess I'm looking at just experiementing with stronger styles not to concerned with trying to copy any particular one
but just using what I have on hand, was mainly concerned about the amount of wheat I was using thought it may be too much for these styles.
Chocolate Malt was only in as I have some Promash recipes that include it in 'Abbey ales' but using promash found I had to reduce the amount to only 100g to keep the EBC to something reasonable, but I think I will remove it entirely and dump the POR as well....
Yeast - I'm thinking of cultivating a bottle conditioned strong style, local store has heaps of imported Trappist's and belgian strongs

Thanks again for the comments much appreciated
MACA

Ditch the Chocolate Malt and go with some Weyermann Caraaroma

Here's what I'm brewing this Sunday.....

4.00 kg JWM Traditional Ale Malt (3.0 SRM)
0.50 kg Hoepfner Vienna (3.0 SRM)
0.30 kg Hoepfner Carapils (2.0 SRM)
0.30 kg IMC Munich Malt (6.1 SRM)
0.25 kg TF Pale Crystal (34.0 SRM)
0.25 kg Weyermann Carared (24.0 SRM)
0.20 kg Weyermann Caraaroma (178.0 SRM)
26.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.60%] (60 min) Hops 18.9 IBU
20.00 gm Fuggles [5.00%] (30 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
30.00 gm Saaz [3.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 kg Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM)
1 Pkgs Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522)

Cheers
JSB

I thought I'd seen Golden syrup and darker malts in trappist ale copies before...

While cleaning up my PC found this recipe
From
Clone Your Own Jul, 1997 by Scott Russell

CHIMAY CINQ CENTS

5 gallons, grain and adjuncts
OG 1068

Deep copper to light brown, fruity and rich, there just isn't a better beer in the world than this Belgian Trappist ale. This is essentially an all-grain recipe, although there are some sugar adjuncts for higher alcohol content. The yeast is essential. I carefully saved the dregs from an entire six-pack of the White Label and a 22-oz. bottle of the Cinq Cents (which Michael Jackson says are the same thing) and built up to a half-gallon starter. Golden syrup is an English sweetener (increasingly easy to find here; check your gourmet bakery shop if your homebrew supplier isn't carrying it yet), which is essentially invert sugar.

Ingredients:

9 lbs. two-row pale malt
1 oz. black patent malt
1 lb. brown sugar
10 oz. golden syrup
4 plugs (2 oz.) Hallertauer hops, for 60 min.
2 plugs (1 oz.) Kent Goldings hops, for 60 min.
Chimay Cinq Cents yeast
5/8 cup brown sugar for priming

Anyway I ended up using Perl instead of the POR I had in my original recipe and added a little chocolate malt (~80g) and used 1200g of golden syrup (in place of candi sugar) after the initial fermentation died down (2 days)

Looks and smells good at this stage,
thank god for a temperature controlled refridgerator over the last few days (Controlled by Linux Debian and Comedi - will release the source code one day when I get a decent GUI done for the control freaks out there like me....)

Will see how it turns out

Cheers and Beers
MACA

ianmcgregor said:
I thought I'd seen Golden syrup and darker malts in trappist ale copies before...

While cleaning up my PC found this recipe
From
Clone Your Own Jul, 1997 by Scott Russell

CHIMAY CINQ CENTS
[snip]
[post="41191"][/post]​

G'day Ian,
Did you make the Cinq cents clone? I'm putting this recipe together and hope to brew it soon. How did yours go?

TL

Here is the recipie of the belgian I did for the last Perth brewday:

Recipie - Belgian Strong Ale
Rochefort Clone

Grains:
Pilsner 5kg
Cara Munich 1kg
Candi Sugar 450 grams
Cara Aroma 300g
Flaked Maize 300g
Carafa Special III 50g

Hops Schedule:
Styrian Goldings 30g @ 60 minutes
Hallertau 20g @ 30 minutes
Hallertau 10g @ 5 minutes

Yeast:
Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II

Other Additions:
Whirlfloc, quarter tablet @ 15 mins

Statistics:
Batch size: 20 litres
OG: 1.077 (assuming 70% efficiency)
Colour: 24.9 SRM
Bitterness: 34.8 IBU

barfridge said:

[post="57663"][/post]​

...and we'll tell you if its any good TL after the next brew day on 21 May.

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
And by the way the style nazis may get you for calling it a "Trappist," unless you are a monk you will have to make do with "Abbey"
[post="40488"][/post]​

U can call it what U want at home, but send it in to a State comp (say, in NSW), and U will have to call it maybe a Belgian pale.

U might even get a prize.

This really happened to a friend of a friend of mine. :D

Q
BTW, if I was gonna drink some of the same beer tonight (and it's a couple of years old) will it be past its prime?

Q
@ what temp should it be served?

Anyone?

Seth :p :chug:

Weizguy said:
Q
BTW, if I was gonna drink some of the same beer tonight (and it's a couple of years old) will it be past its prime?

Q
@ what temp should it be served?

Anyone?

Seth :p :chug:
[post="57703"][/post]​

A: stronger beers keep for long periods of time if kept well. A good belgian should keep for 5 years, and get beeter with age.

A: 10-12 degrees seems to be the most popular opinion.

Guest Lurker said:
barfridge said:

[post="57663"][/post]​

...and we'll tell you if its any good TL after the next brew day on 21 May.
[post="57668"][/post]​

No worries - thanks ;)

By the way, are these Belgian Beauties Better off in the Bottle or a Big Bad Keg? :ph34r:
I want to replicate their traditional flavours as much as possible...

TL

Better to bottle IMO TL,

Keg is OK. However you find yourself waiting forever to finish a stronger ale. Sometimes keg is needed for other duties.

Plus bottle conditioning aids in flavour development, changes etc.

Warren -

Thanks Warren - I figured as much...I suppose if you have heaps of empty kegs laying around, you could bulk condition a kegfull in a cool corner of the cellar....That isn't the case at my place!

A bottlin' I will go....!
Cheers,
TL

Trough Lolly said:
A bottlin' I will go....!
Cheers,
TL
[post="57799"][/post]​

Which isn't exactly a barrel (or is that keg) full of laughs when you're an established kegger.

Noooooooo! Don't send me back to the bottl'n line! :eek:

Warren -

Trough Lolly said:
I'll only bottle Belgians!!
[post="57803"][/post]​

Such cruelty!

Sorry... It's getting close to beer o'clock. :wacko:

Warren -

Graphic1.jpg

Latest posts

Back