Transporting Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomiser

Reaction score
Hi all,
I do FIFO work out at Moranbah on a 3 weeks on 1 off basis. I have a keg setup at home but it would be good to be able to bring some with me to camp. I reckon a 9 litre keg would fit in my bar fridge. My question is would Qantas Link have a problem with me checking in a pressurised keg full of beer? Anyone else tried to do this??

Cheers

liquids woud be an issue maybe? Dont know if those rules have been relaxed though??

Best ring them prior I would say...

Hi all,
I do FIFO work out at Moranbah on a 3 weeks on 1 off basis. I have a keg setup at home but it would be good to be able to bring some with me to camp. I reckon a 9 litre keg would fit in my bar fridge. My question is would Qantas Link have a problem with me checking in a pressurised keg full of beer? Anyone else tried to do this??

Cheers

not sure you'd have much luck getting it on a plane... what about a courier service? Just have it delivered to you when you're there. Sure, there's be a cost involved... but i reckon they'd do it for you.

I reckon give it a try, put one in your suit case. After all you are allowed to have other pressurised containers in your stowed luggage, like bottled beer, hair spray etc., not sure if the size matters though. Maybe have someone waiting at the airport to take the keg back in case they pull it out of your bag.
Or if you want to be sure, ring them, but I have a feeling they would say no if you specifically ask them about it.

I would have a feeling a 9l keg would look very obvious and suspicious in a bag on an x-ray. I wouldn't do this without alerting the fligh staff, unless you want your bag detonated in a field by a robot.

Kegs on a plane - could be a multimillion dollar Hollywood flop in that...

Don't fancy your chances of a 9L Keg, but have you thought about filling a couple of those 5L mini-kegs you can get at the bottle shop. Maybe buy one of them and try to transport it first, then you'll only lose 5L of commercial beer if they say nay :icon_cheers:

Yeah in this day and age you could see things going bad for you and your keg pretty quick going through xray.

However on a more logical note, i would think that a pressure tested keg, in carry on luggage would be quite safe, but i would say the answer would still be no.

But if you were to CPBF 12 glass bottles and cram them in a carry on, i bet they would not care, even though i think 12 glass bottles would be a lot less safe than a 9L keg.

Ring the airline and ask them

I wouldn't take any risk with this and declare it. Ring up before and check. Chances are it will go through unnoticed, but if they do scan it and see it, it will look suspect. They might work out what it is quite quickly and you'll be fine, BUT, worst possible scenario would involve you making the evening news for a bomb scare on a plane, having your bag destroyed, having your darkest cavities invaded and a large fine and possible jail sentance. Even if the possibility of all this happening are slim it is not worth the risk.

I'm not sure on the domestic situation.

BUT at least on international flights, they won't let you carry on more than 100ml of fluids per bottle. Somehow I think a 9L keg might not be allowed ;)

You won't be able to sneek it through in your luggage as it will jump out to whatever person is watching the xray as a "possible bomb"

I would enquire politely, but don't perhaps don't mention that its pressurized?

(Oh, and wrap it in a plastic bag, the other thing the airlines don't want is your beer leaking all over everyone else's luggage)

Best thing would be to courier the full kegs there... you can always carry the empty kegs back in your luggage.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/d.../en#whatTakeOut

Can't see anything in there that indicates that a keg wouldn't be allowed. At least if it's uncarbonated beer it's not a problem, it's just non toxic/explosive liquid after all, which is fine in the hold (think carton of wine). And even a carbonated keg should be fine, what's the difference to a suitcase full of bottled beer?
I really don't think it would be mistaken for a bomb, a quick explosives test would rule that out in seconds. Also, we're talking domestic Qantas link here, not a flight to or from the middle east.

Give it a try with a 9L keg, the worst thing that can happen is that they will ask you to leave it behind (with your friend who's waiting), you certainly won't 'go to jail' or any of that. It's not specified as a dangerous good.

But don't take this as 'legal advice' :)

Hi all,

Cheers

I had a look at the Qantas website's 'Dangerous Goods'. The only thing that comes close is:

Alcoholic beverages, when in retail packagings, containing more than 24% but not more than 70% alcohol by volume, in receptacles not exceeding 5L, with a total net quantity per person of 5L.
But since yours is not 'in retail packagings' (and presumably under 24% ABV!!!) no issue there. There's nothing else that seems to qualify. It'd make sense to call beforehand, you can contact their Freight Office for specific advice but looks like a great idea and a fine travel companion for the flight

For all domestic freight inquiries please contact Qantas Courier on 1300 553 903 or click on the link below
http://www.qantascourier.com.au

Plan B? Well, I'd stick with Plan A for now
cooler-scooter.jpg

*edit - to fix tags.

Craftbrewer now sell those 5L kegs, Heineken Style, with a built in gas supply and a tap. Fill with your home brew, transport to wherever, crack the gas, and you have a 5L on tap. They are use-once.

I see his webmaster hasn't got them up there on the site yet.

Craftbrewer now sell those 5L kegs, Heineken Style, with a built in gas supply and a tap. Fill with your home brew, transport to wherever, crack the gas, and you have a 5L on tap. They are use-once.

I see his webmaster hasn't got them up there on the site yet.

Hey bribeG
My dad bought a few of them kegs off ross and i was hoping i would be able to reuse them for this exact thing i work away and want to fly them to work. So from your post im guessing there not reausable?? be great for transporting beer to work tho even if gotta buy them new each time, pretty sure u would get away with it. My last flight to work i had 8 750ml pet bottles of beer in my bag and nothing was said.

Cheers jbacon

Not sure on Qantas policy but Virgins Terms of Carriage include the following.
Must not be carried,
Compressed Gases: gas cylinders, aerosols (other than medicines and toiletries for personal use).

May be carried in limited quantity,
Alcoholic Beverages: Maximum of 5 litres in total is permitted in retail packaging. The maximum permitted per
single package is 5 litres in either the aircraft cabin or as checked baggage. Consumption of alcohol carried on
board is not permitted on the aircraft.

I would say you may have a problem with the 9 Litres, and carrying CO2 cylinders is pretty much outlawed.
Nige

I would have a feeling a 9l keg would look very obvious and suspicious in a bag on an x-ray. I wouldn't do this without alerting the fligh staff, unless you want your bag detonated in a field by a robot.
i can see this happening...

I wouldn't take any risk with this and declare it. Ring up before and check. Chances are it will go through unnoticed, but if they do scan it and see it, it will look suspect. They might work out what it is quite quickly and you'll be fine, BUT, worst possible scenario would involve you making the evening news for a bomb scare on a plane, having your bag destroyed, having your darkest cavities invaded and a large fine and possible jail sentance. Even if the possibility of all this happening are slim it is not worth the risk.
i'd ring and be as open and honest as possible to get an accurate answer... otherwise if you want some adventure... go for the second option

....... you can always carry the empty kegs back in your luggage.
there is every chance even an empty keg may be rejected .. they are paranoid these days .. with good reason i fear.

So five days after I email Qantas to enquire if I can check in the keg they reply and tell me to call customer service. Useless. There is also the problem that we're not supposed to bring in outside alcohol to the camp. But it's one of those things they just overlook. Would cause too many problems if they start searching bags at the gate.

Latest posts

Back