Tooheys Old

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite an old, but based off some previous advice from Tony I've made a couple of nice Aussie dark ales that have pleased all Toohey's Old fans. I don't have the exact details, but I used BB Ale, roughly 5% munich I choc chit for about 3% and carafa special II roughly 2% (65c mash). Just one 60min bittering addition (to about 25IBU's), I've found that Super Alpha is a nicer combo than POR even if it isn't as Aussie :) As it's just a basic ale I use US-05 and with the 5% munich there's still a little bit of malt flavour left to balanace it all nicely.

I have a very similar recipe fermenting away now and the initial samples are great. I've made it closer to 8% munich before and just over 30IBU's but personally find it a little bit more enjoyable with the combo above. Compared to the "real" thing, the recipe above isn't quite as roasty, isn't as thin and has more of a malt profile. All improvements in my book without getting into Porter territory (my favourite style :)).

Back