Too Long In The Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1990

Reaction score
Hi, I havent been brewing for long and was wondering if it were possible to leave the beer in the fermenter too long? I put down 2 batches of brew down and was called away interstate for a family emergency and beer has been left in the barrels for just over 2 weeks. Am I wasting my time bottling it or will it still be O.K? I appreciate peoples input so post away please. Cheers, Josh

Hi, I havent been brewing for long and was wondering if it were possible to leave the beer in the fermenter too long? I put down 2 batches of brew down and was called away interstate for a family emergency and beer has been left in the barrels for just over 2 weeks. Am I wasting my time bottling it or will it still be O.K? I appreciate peoples input so post away please. Cheers, Josh

2 weeks is fine. Hell, 4 weeks is probably fine. My standard fermentation schedule is 2 weeks.

If you leave the wort on the yeast for a few days after fermentation is complete you'll give the yeast time to clean up any off flavours that were created during fermentation.

Yes, you can leave the beer in the fermenter for too long. 2 weeks though is usually the recommended time to leave the beer in the fermenter to allow the yeast to clean up after themselves and let the crap drop out of solution. In other words... you beer is fine, and provided fermentation is finished, it is fine to bottle.

Yes, you can leave the beer in the fermenter for too long. 2 weeks though is usually the recommended time to leave the beer in the fermenter to allow the yeast to clean up after themselves and let the crap drop out of solution. In other words... you beer is fine, and provided fermentation is finished, it is fine to bottle.

Snap

Hi Josh,

Yes it is possible to leave a beer in primary too long, but two weeks is fine, even three weeks+.

bottle it!

Wraith

Personally I have waited almost 4 weeks (kegs were coming and I was too lazy to bottle!) and it turned out fine.

I think its probably just best to do it after 2 weeks or so because there probably isnt much benefit after the extra week or so cleaning up the yeast does.

Damn that was fast,thanks for the info guys. I will go pick up the bottles on Monday and get bottling then. I have enjoyed reading through this forum and I think I will enjoy my time here. Bottoms up, Josh

Im currently drinking the result of leaving a beer on the yeast for about 6-7 weeks. no so fine. I finally get the connection between the flavour of vegemite and yeast. dead yeast to be exact. its not undrinkable and i think if it was a big american pale ale id hardly notice but being its a sudo boy pils/ale i can taste it. will never go longer than 3-4 weeks on a standard ale again.

My standard is 2 weeks in primary. No problems.

Latest posts

Back