Too Hoppy And How To Adjust

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock

Reaction score
Hi, Am a newbee to Biab and have just put down a Schwarzbeir (black beer) and my problem is, after tasting after fermentation and transferring into a keg the beer is very bitter, and looking afterwards in beersmith I hadn't calculated the strength of the hops i used. I used 8%A.A ( should of been 4% AA )in a 23ltr batch 42.5g hallertauer hersbrucker for 60min,and 28g@ 20min in boil,which gave me an IBU of 56 ouch! Style is between 22-32 IBU..Can I add some LDME to balance out the bitterness and if yes how much?
Thanks in advance,
Rocket

As it's in a keg it's going to be quite a bit easier... you could make the same batch without any hops and blend half-and-half, that will halve the IBUs

Hi, Am a newbee to Biab and have just put down a Schwarzbeir (black beer) and my problem is, after tasting after fermentation and transferring into a keg the beer is very bitter, and looking afterwards in beersmith I hadn't calculated the strength of the hops i used. I used 8%A.A ( should of been 4% AA )in a 23ltr batch 42.5g hallertauer hersbrucker for 60min,and 28g@ 20min in boil,which gave me an IBU of 56 ouch! Style is between 22-32 IBU..Can I add some LDME to balance out the bitterness and if yes how much?
Thanks in advance,
Rocket

Rocket58 ( is that the year you were born ?)

1) leave it for a month and the hoppiness will mellow
2) as Adam suggested blend it .
3) hop it for about 3-4 day in the keg in acouple of pop sock, it will give the beer more body and change the effect of the highly bittered beer .
4) low carbonate it , high carbonation may accentuate the bitterness

Personally i would not muck around with it some of the worst tasting beers out of the fermenters taste great when finished carbonated but definately leave a month or two as it will mellow

pumpy

Thanks adamt and Pumpy, I might leave it for a month as suggested and low carb it , as my next brew is a Octoberfest, I have the grains already.And yeah Pumpy I was born in that year(Old I know)

Latest posts

Back