Too Gassy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albioninoz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been brewing from kits now for a couple of years and have been using trial and error to get things pretty right. I'm happy enough with my beers but one thing seems to spoil them just a bit. Although the taste is good it is a bit too gassy which gives me a bit of wind (a bit embarrassing at home) and strangely when drinking I seem to be able to taste the bubbles/gas. Any ideas? My last brew was 'Coopers - Nut Brown Ale' and '1.5Kg Amber Malt Extract' with a Safale S04 yeast. At least the wind is oral! Cheers

Although the taste is good it is a bit too gassy which gives me a bit of wind (a bit embarrassing at home)

how are you priming and with what are you priming with?

bulk prime
measuring scoop
kegging

more info needed

also, there is nothing I like more than a good yeasty fart to fire up the dutch oven

just saying

BF

you could try adding less priming sugar. also, are you sure that primary fermentation has finished? and are you adding enzymes?

Yes, sorry, forgot about that. I'm bulk priming with white sugar at the rate of 140g if the SP is between 1010 and 1014. Maybe I've been a bit generous with this measurement as well. It's always in the back of my mind that I need to have a good head on my beer.

I agree there is nothing wrong with flatulence but I get an uncomfortable feeling in the gut as well.

Yes, sorry, forgot about that. I'm bulk priming with white sugar at the rate of 140g if the SP is between 1010 and 1014.

What batch size?

140g of cane sugar isn't too bad for a standard 23L batch aiming at about 2.4 volumes of co2
for a brown ale, possibly wind that back to 2.0 volumes which would be somewhere around 90g.

in the future, use this:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirl...Calculator.html

select your style from the drop down list at the bottom to choose the rough level of Co2.
the temp field is the temp of the beer at bottling.
that should give you a better idea of how much you should be priming with.

essentially, if it's consistently too gassy, just wind it back a bit.

cheers,

BF

P.S. Co2 in levels in your beer has next to **** all impact on head retention

Back