TIG Welding 1/2" sockets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filby

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows the amps required to weld a 1/2" socket to a stainless vessel? Trying to size up a TIG welder. Oh and if anyone has any good experience with a particular welder let me know :)

Fil

get the best you can afford up to 200amps will do everything you need brewing wise and more

you can get them pretty cheap these days,

I just bought a 200A AC/DC TIGMaster for $1,000 off ebay for work.

which is a good commercial welder, being AC to do aluminium as well. does HF / Ramping / Pulse all the good stuff.

i think they sell a decent DC version which will be cheap, Not sure if you have an ARC welder but most ARC's can be converted into a TIG with the simple purchase of a Tig handpiece, Regulator and Argon bottle...

as for tigging a Coupling too a SS pot, amps wouldn't push much past 90A or you will just burn the pot if its a keg with 3mm walls, you might push upto 110A

Have you done much Tig welding?? practice a lot first on the thickness of materials your using, thin wall pots burn away pretty fast, I'd suggest not having the hole any bigger than the coupling, might be eaiser to tig it onto the vessel then put the hole through it.

The other option would be to take it too a small metal fabricator, prob find it would be done as a cash job and wouldnt charge you much.... i used to do all that kind of stuff when i worked for a small business, now im @ a big one.. we have a min $80 charge out fee....

Cheers for the info. Sounds like a Cigweld 170 will do the job easily then.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cigweld-Weldskill-170-inverter-welder-Tig-Torch-FREE-/390323371619?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item5ae115fe63&_uhb=1#ht_3338wt_1094

As much as I would like the AC function for ali I cant justify it at the moment. Havent TIG welded before but have done plenty of MIG. Was looking at doing the beginner and intermediate TIG course at TAFE as it costs pretty much nothing.

Will I get away with lift start or do I need HF?

Cheers

Fil

here is the full tig handbook from miller, it answers all the basic questions about TIG welding

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?dxra94rbg789oi0

lift start is a more recent technology than HF start, I have a cheap TIG welder with HF start, the only thing I would like it to have is post gas delay and I'm thinking of modifying it so it does.

cheers steve

Hi Filby,

I have the model up from that with the mig function and I have found it generally very easy to use.

As previously advised, I would do a lot of practice before venturing out on a good stainless pot with the tig function as I found it takes a lot of getting used to.
The course you are considering would be beneficial if you can do it without having to do all the levels to get up to tig.

Happy welding

I'm a stainless tig welder in the wine industry and do stuff like this fairly often.
I would run at about 50amps with a 1.6mm electrode, pure argon.
The 1/2" socket will probably be thicker steel than the stainless vessel, so start the arc in the thicker material of the socket and feather it into the vessel as you move around.
I would fully weld it on the inside too, to give a clean surface finish, or if it cannot be reached, purge the back of the weld with argon piped in via a tube into the back using a larger socket and some speed/grey tape.

If you farm it out to a fabrication shop, just tell them it needs to be food grade, and you need it welded on the inside as well, or gas backed, either will be fine, and can be easily sanitized which is the main concern.

Back