Things Of Beauty

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LethalCorpse

Reaction score
So, I went shopping yesterday...

SS_001crop.JPG

Looks like you had to draw down a second mortgage.

looks nice and shiny, I'm jealous.

Andrew

I won't tell you how much it was because I suspect T&S vary their prices somewhat and I don't want to give anyone the bum steer. But it was cheap.

....and where are these going to end up then?

I won't tell you how much it was because I suspect T&S vary their prices somewhat and I don't want to give anyone the bum steer. But it was cheap.

Are you sure your not posting the price in case the missus sees how much you spent :p .

LOvely SS by the way, i've gotta get me some camlocks

Would you mind saying the prices anyway? I've been considering buying from Geordi in Melbourne because they seem so much cheaper than anyone else, but if T&S is in the same ballpark I'll probably make the trip to Ingleburn. Or did you pay them in homebrew? :)

I looked closely at Geordi before I went down to Ingleburn. I was very pleased to have made the trip. Does that help?

....and where are these going to end up then?
The setup is going to be as I posted way back here. Because of the ridiculous prices of compression fittings, I'm going to be draining straight out of the bottom of the vessels. Nipple goes through the bottom with a nut and silicone washer on the inside. The other side of the nipple is connected to an elbow, then the valve goes straight onto that. I considered using straight threaded pipes so the valve protrudes past the edge of the vessel, but it won't be necessary. I've worked out that the valve turns to just the right place so that the handle faces down, and I can reach under the vessel (on a stand with a space in the top) to open and close the valves. If it doesn't work out, or gets irritating, I can always extend it later.

One thing I'm not overly happy with is the camlocks. They were out of stock of 1/2in F-type camlocks (male 1/2in thread to male 1/2in camlock), and won't get any more for at least 12 weeks, so I had to go with Type B and E as shown in the photo. It means that the rotation of the camlock and valve have to end up with perfect alignment so that the camlock arms don't foul on the valve bolts. It looks like they should line up about right though.

I'm also not overjoyed at the diameter of the hosetails on the type E camlocks. It could end up being a bottleneck. I'll see how it goes, and down the track I may decide to up them to 3/4 in, because you can get type B 3/4 camlock with 1/2in thread.

I'm also not overjoyed at the diameter of the hosetails on the type E camlocks. It could end up being a bottleneck. I'll see how it goes, and down the track I may decide to up them to 3/4 in, because you can get type B 3/4 camlock with 1/2in thread.

This was my first thought when you posted the pic. The hosetails are too small.
I went with 3/4 all the way....this way everything was at least 5/8 ID. A 1/2 inch pipe is just under 5/8 ID, so all small diameters are at least well over half inch. I use 16 mm silicone hose, also 5/8 ID.

Cheers,
Bud

Gotta love T&S. I know what you mean about the prices, I've had them vary up to 50% for the same item the same week! It's all about who you get on the day.

Are they all 1/2" fittings?
The reason I ask is the last 4 times I've been there they have been out of stock of the 1/2" fittings, might be worth another visit on Monday. Need a few ball valves, and the camlocks look sensational, I've been eyeing them off for some time.
They don't sell a lot of 1/2" sizes so it's a bit hit and miss.

Ha... looks like a lot of silicon hose involved with all those camlock connectors there LC.

cheers

Browndog

Latest posts

Back