The Ross Method Of Carbination

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benno-5

Reaction score
I just used the Ross Method for the first time. I found that while rocking the keg after turning the gas off that the pressure dropped well below 140kpa. So as described I repeated the steps. This however continues and I repeated the steps 3 times and it was still droping.

The beer is gassed ok. Not over carbd.

My question...... should the pressure stop dropping totally or the rate at which it drops slows?

Also it says to repeat steps 4-6 but step 4 for 10 to 15 seconds..... does it actually mean step 5 for 10-15 seconds (rather than 50)?

cheers

Everyone does this method slightly different, so the directions (at least to me) are more guides for you to use. You say that it was carbonated right to your tastes- then do the same thing next time and don't worry about copying what was on the thread exactly :)

It could become the Benno-5 method!
Stranger things have happened on this site ;)

Batz (should check out my method :lol: )

It could become the Benno-5 method!
Stranger things have happened on this site ;)

Batz (should check out my method :lol: )

heheheheheheheheh,

yep, the Batz method, highly recommended :super:

As peas and corn said, proper force carbonation is very much a personal preference thing, and there is no one sure fire way of carbing your beer, each system is slightly different, and carbonation pressures and dispensing pressures are never the same from one to the next.
But all systems are similar in certain respects, so start with some general advice and then tweek you pressures to suite your system.

Cheers
Andrew

I get an error when I do a search for "Ross carbonation". Would someone be kind enough to supply a link to the method?

Benno, it can be a little hard to judge when to stop when you first start using the method as the needle will keep dropping ever so slowly. To give you something to aim at, take a reading ten seconds after you turn the gas off. Will also throw in another method at the end of this post.

Ken, here's the original instructions...

The Ross Method.

After filling the keg (upto the weld mark just below the top) with cold beer turn pressure up to 300 kpa & rock keg back & forth on its side (inlet at bottom) for 50 seconds. Turn off gas (on main bottle) but continue to rock keg while monitoring the pressure dial. You will see the pressure full back quite quickly & then stabilise (100 - 200kpa). The goal is for the pressure to fall back to between 140 - 160 kpa depending on your preference (140 pommie ale - 160 Aussie beer). If the pressure falls well below 140 kpa, just turn gas back on & rock for another 10 - 15 secs, then recheck & repeat as necessary. I find that 60 secs is nearly always about the mark. Then all you have to do is release the top pressure valve on the keg (normally a couple of hours later to avoid foam flying out of the valve), connect to your gas (making sure you have set pressure back to 80 kpa or whatever you like to dispense at) & you will pour a perfect beer.

Couple of things to add here. Firstly, before turning your gas back on, you should unscrew your regulator knob to avoid damaging it. Secondly, this can sometimes lead to beer running back up your gas line or worse still, right back to your regulator. Spending some money on a one-way valve is not a bad idea. Alternatively, an in-line ball-valve (tap) will acheive the same result.

I have the new 23 litre kegs which shouldn't be pressurised to 300kpa so I now carbonate with a method that Aussie_Claret showed me. I've used this a few times now. It takes a little longer but seems to work fine and also avoids the danger of blowback up the lines.

1. Attach gas.
2. Lie keg down so gas discoonect is closest to the floor.
3. Pressurise to 140kpa (ales) or 160kpa (lagers).
4. Rock the keg as fast or slow as you like until you can no longer hear gas flowing from the gas bottle.

Cheers
Pat

Thanks Pat. I was wondering how close it was to the method I use, and by God it's very similar! I include instructions to prevent backflow up the CO2 line though. I haven't considered the psi equivalents, but I would imagine they're similar:
Foolproof Force Carbing

...was wondering how close it was to the method I use, and by God it's very similar!

That's right KMD, Ross didn't invent the method, but he's got a lot of supporters who he's introduced to our wonderful world of brewing. They refer to it as "The Ross Method", but it's basically the age old rapid forced carbonation by a different name. :ph34r:

No disrespect to you Ross, you never said you invented it! :beer:

...was wondering how close it was to the method I use, and by God it's very similar!

That's right KMD, Ross didn't invent the method, but he's got a lot of supporters who he's introduced to our wonderful world of brewing. They refer to it as "The Ross Method", but it's basically the age old rapid forced carbonation by a different name. :ph34r:

No disrespect to you Ross, you never said you invented it! :beer:
With respect to Ross, GMTA!
Rolling%20Laughing%20Smilie.gif

Back