The Perfect Lemonade?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frasertag

Reaction score
Ok

well after doing a West lemonade kit and finding it tasted like icy poles... and doing a 22lt batch i got the recipe off here for... which turned out ok but abit to bitter for most people (im a bitter and dry person myself though)

I thought id do a test with oztops...
It says in the instructions Citrus doesnt work well if its more then 50% of the juice you are using..

So i juiced 6 lemons (very large grapefruit style) through a muslin cloth. added one funnel worth of sugar (sorry that was how i measured it probably 1 1/2cups)
and about a litre of water into a pot and boiled it to kill any wild yeasts as these were lemons from the garden.

cooled down for about 2 hours
added to a 2.4L juice bottled (cleaned)
and topped up to 2L with cold water.
added yeast and capped.
The first 5 days there was almost no visable sign of a ferment.
But i just let it be and after a week the bottle started to stiffen up.
After 2 weeks I cooled and chilled it
Poured a sample glass and it was ok, lost most of its sweetness. Was fairly carbinated and there was a slight after taste that was kinda yeasty.
Hmm 2 week expermint stuffed? Nah
I juiced two fresh lemons into it and its sooo bloody good!! The three people i have had sample it said they would kill to have it, well i told em they dont need to kill just hte oztops kit.

I added the 2 extra juices to it while it was cold so i guess if there was any nasties on the lemons they dont have a chance to contaminate the lemonade as the rest of its life is in the fridge

Back