The Perfect Fermentation Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the only bar fridges i can find in perth are westinghouse. how many litres was the home maker fridge?

Hey Mark.

I just found the perfect fermentation fridge too. Funnily enough, it looks identical to yours, except its a Mistral MBF140SS(H) that I scored for FREE!!!

It had a bit of mould inside as it was left outside in the rain for a few days, but I've cleaned it up with anti-bacterial stuff and removed the freezer compartment and its PERFECT!

This thing is literally identical to yours down to the last detail, I'm so lucky my mate told me about this and picked it up for me. I just need a tempmate now and I'm set!

Looks like people are on to these now.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mistral-Bar-Fridge-...=item4cf4c35e10

I'm still looking for one in sydney... So if someone spots one, I'd appreciate the heads up!

They're great. And I could always use a second ferment fridge...

does anyone know if a 23L Glass carboy with airlock will fit in these 'Homemaker' bar fridges?
I'm happy to gut the door if necessary.

Slightly off topic but don't be afraid to go without the airlock if space is an issue....it's basically redundant. Just cover the hole with sanitised foil or glad wrap, or run a blow off tube from it into some water for any krausen overflow that might happen.

I've done quite a few small batch brews in one of these with the small lid just not screwed on all that tightly...all have worked out fine. Pitching the dry yeast through that little hole is a bit weird, but they always seem to ferment fine.

Breezy too said:
Very helpful thread guys.

I just picked the above mentioned Mistral model up on eBay tonight - $116.

There's another one up at the moment if someone else needs one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mistral-bar-fridge-/161120678149?pt=AU_RefrigeratorsFreezers&hash=item25838a7105&_uhb=1

Looking forward to my first cool controlled ferment!!

Breezy
Out if interest, was that the same as this one? (110L): http://goo.gl/PTVrRa

I'm keen to get a barfridge sized temp controller too. I'm pretty new to brewing, but I reckon it's going to start being a pain in the arse trying to control temps as the weather keeps getting warmer in Melbourne.

rossbaker said:
Out if interest, was that the same as this one? (110L): http://goo.gl/PTVrRa

I'm keen to get a barfridge sized temp controller too. I'm pretty new to brewing, but I reckon it's going to start being a pain in the arse trying to control temps as the weather keeps getting warmer in Melbourne.
Hi Ross,

It looks like the same model. Mine was a mbf140ss (stainless steel). Yours looks like the white equivalent mbf140rh.

If you're not sure and can inspect it before bidding - check that the freezer shelf can be removed by taking out the two screws in the back wall as per the OP.

If you get the right fridge, this really is a simple efficient way to cool control your ferments. I don't know why I took so long to get it organised.

Cheers

Breezy

Breezy too said:
Hi Ross,

It looks like the same model. Mine was a mbf140ss (stainless steel). Yours looks like the white equivalent mbf140rh.

If you're not sure and can inspect it before bidding - check that the freezer shelf can be removed by taking out the two screws in the back wall as per the OP.

If you get the right fridge, this really is a simple efficient way to cool control your ferments. I don't know why I took so long to get it organised.

Cheers

Breezy

Excellent, thanks Breezy.

Right, I'm picking up a used minstral bar fridge (same as above) tomorrow evening. Now I need to decide whether to get a keg king, pre-wired temp controller, or order an stc-1000 and try to wire it myself. My inner lazy ******* is thinking it should be an easy choice...

Oh, dear... This thread got me quite excited. How silly did I feel when I got my fridge home tonight, removed the freezer shelf only to realize that my fermenter is still too tall... It's a longer, thinner one from the LHBS. So close, but still so far!

Oh well, time to think positive. I can either swap it our for my dads one (old coopers) or get a bunnings one. Door seal is a bit sh@t too, but that should be an easy fix. Urrrgh, this hobby never lets up!

Hi all

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i'm [SIZE=14.6px]bout to buy a small fermentation fridge, so excited to start AG brewing.[/SIZE]
Has anyone here used a fridge similar to this? [SIZE=14.6px]The model is a Homemaker 112L model HMBF112BWW.[/SIZE]
I'll be wanting to remove the freezer section from the top, is it as simple as removing the screws on the right and pulling the coil draw out? This will give me enough room to put my fermenter in using glad wrap instead of an airlock – but no chance unless i can get that freezer out.

Cheers
Dale

You can't pull out the metal bit, that's what cools the fridge. You will need to bend it to the side/back wherever. Should be some threads on here with pics. Just make sure you turn it off and do it warm.

FYI The names on this site are the orange ones - so mine is crowmanz

It is fairly easy to shift/move/bend - I did it on my fermentation fridge

Latest posts

Back