The Missus And The Mash...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
getting out of the kitchen and into the shed was the best thing I ever did for my brewing... and marrige relationship wifes attitude toward my brewing obsession

:rolleyes:

you can't blame them directly, it's in their genetic makeup to dislike the smell of something that gives a man pleasure, apparently that's why they close their eyes during sex, can't stand to see a bloke enjoying himself :icon_cheers:

you can't blame them directly, it's in their genetic makeup to dislike the smell of something that gives a man pleasure, apparently that's why they close their eyes during sex, can't stand to see a bloke enjoying himself :icon_cheers:

:lol:
Too bloody right, then the footy season starts and it goes up a notch :ph34r:

my pregnant missus thinks it smells like chocolate cake. although i think its due to the chocolate grains i am using

I can't see the problem, at least I am home... although once you start adding hops "speak to the mash tun as it aint busy at the moment" can get you in trouble.

I did my first AG brew out the back, glad I did as there was sticky wort everywhere! Oh, and bees and flies and other bugs... I didn't mention the redbacks.

I still do my brews out the back but the ferment happens in my brew fridge in the back room - bloop, bloop, bloop. If you listen quietly you can hear it when you are nearly asleep. MAGIC!!!

She doesn't want you to be a drunk who doesn't care about the kids.

She's smart - hold on to her.

I brew at work. But she quite likes the smell and if she knows I'm doing a batch will swing past on her way home

My wife loves the smell of brewing but hate's to drink beer so its a win win for me, god bless her

I think it may be related to a lack of knowledge/interest. My Mrs has been at me for ages to brew a ginger beer. i told her that she had to get involved if she was going to drink it, and magically, for the first time, she actually enjoyed the smell of the mash and boil, and even the smell of the hop additions.

I guess its a ginger ale really. 2kg of JWM trad ale malt, bittered with Cascade to 5 IBU and a can of coopers ginger beer kit - hopefully it meets expectations.

Mine is okay about the smell of the mash, but hops during the boil and she has to leave.

I brew in my garage on the bottom floor on the apartment building, it has an internal door that leads to the communal stairway. I have had many comments from the other residents, mostly positive and usually along the lines of "Ahhhh, brewing again? could smell it from the top floor, much better than that crap the woman in number 2 cooks"

I'll take that as a compliment.

I don't know what most of you are brewing, but the smell of my mash is pretty much contained in the mash tun.
It only starts to give off an aroma (I refuse to call it a smell) when my wort comes to the boil.

I brew in my garage, close the door to the house, open the roller door, and there's no problem.

I get no complaints about my hobbies, I don't complain about hers.
If there was anything to complain about it would be the smell of airbrushed laquer paint and thinners sprayed onto my models. It's far more pungent than anything related to brewing.

I brew in the kitchen ,partner loves the smell plus doesn' t like a dirty kitchen so she helps cleaning up,just a lucky basrard.

did it once in the house....copped a life ban .

Now I do it outside my mancave door.

It is better this way.

Its funny you know I was reading this thread last night after a few brewskis and happened to mention the "meth lab" comment to SWMBO .. sadly she agreed .. and said I get funny looks from the neighbours ... SO next brew day I am putting a keg in the fridge next to the roller door and offering beer to the walker bys ... then ask them if they need any Meth !!! BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The only concern is Danny Green is on my street ... and I have been told he can punch a few beers and still go pretty hard ... solution ... OktoberFest tankard .. 1.5 lt ... full ... 3 times .. I am thinking it will work a treat ...

Seriously if people think a 100l 3 v Microbrewery (Craft Brewery) or play thing for the Deaf guy is a Meth lab .. they are dumber than I gave them credit for ...

The Missus never complains about the smell though ... except for a week after when she is in the brewery whilst the Yeasties are busy chewing the ass out of the fermentables ...

Cheers

Matt

my mum doesn't like the mash but the girlfriend likes the mash and the boil smells. downer is she can drink beer like its water (faster than me in most cases) so i have to try and keep her away.

funny thing about the meth lab comment... the neighbor noticed me draining a whole lot of water at the side of the house and then preceded to leave a fact sheet about the legality of growing marijuana in Australia... i must have a sweet hydroponics setup i don't know about... fark he's a cnut!

My missus loves hops so much I used to leave her the used packets to sniff.

my mum doesn't like the mash but the girlfriend likes the mash and the boil smells. downer is she can drink beer like its water (faster than me in most cases) so i have to try and keep her away.

funny thing about the meth lab comment... the neighbor noticed me draining a whole lot of water at the side of the house and then preceded to leave a fact sheet about the legality of growing marijuana in Australia... i must have a sweet hydroponics setup i don't know about... fark he's a cnut!

I would've gone over to the said neighbours house and kindly told him to mind his own ******* business, handed him a bottle of your best and walked away. I have some neighbours like this... Strange looks and all that. I'd love it if someone put a fact sheet like that in my letterbox! Farkin ignorant arseholes

Back