The Drink You Have When You're Not Having A Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Head over heels for Sunshack's Apple Cider atm :wub: sour, tart and tastes like an apple orchard in full fruit mmmmmmm-mmm! Best cider I've ever had.

Don't mind an odd vodka/soda double with copious amounts of ice and fresh lime either.. otherwise it's coffee.

The Tea Centre:
We don't buy it online, but you could if you're not handy to a shop.
$9 postage for 100gm of tea?! I may have to pass on their kind offer. The Twinings will do me.

Pernod is #1 for me. Despite Pernod Ricard being the same company, Pernod and Ricard taste different. I prefer Pernod. Love the stuff.

Pernod76.jpg

$9 postage for 100gm of tea?! I may have to pass on their kind offer. The Twinings will do me.

Twinings is tea dust, the VB of the tea world. ;)

Check out coffeesnobs for some really fresh, amazing teas - Link

I buy my green coffee beans from them as well as tea. Incredibly fresh, the first time i bought some i made it up using the same amount I would if using twinings or other loose leaf tea. Blew my head off. Now using 1/4-1/3 the quantity and it is amazing. Flavours that don't exist in supermarket teas.

I drink more wine than beer, some single malt perhaps. I roast my own coffee and am really enjoying the new world of flavours that exist with freshly roasted, freshly ground coffee.

Recently bought a 5 tap kegerator with dual pressure capability with plans to have soda water and sparkling mineral water on tap permanently.

I usually have a coffee in the morning to perk me up, cheap instant type, not the flash stuff.

Water at work, beer anywhere else. In fact if I could get away with it, I'd have beer at work too.

When going out, I usually have bourbon - the cheapish stuff like Jim Beam...I see a pattern here, I think I'm a cheap *******. :lol:

Try the T2 Lapsang Souchong. Your analogy is arse-backwards.

diet coke/soda most of the time

charged water (use my keggerator) bitter orange and lime (can't get Kinnie in the States)

Non alcoholic beer and bloody mary mix

kona coffee (Hawaiian ) if I can find it cheap

Some type of low sugar Taurine soda

Twinings is tea dust, the VB of the tea world. ;)

Check out coffeesnobs for some really fresh, amazing teas - Link

I buy my green coffee beans from them as well as tea. Incredibly fresh, the first time i bought some i made it up using the same amount I would if using twinings or other loose leaf tea. Blew my head off. Now using 1/4-1/3 the quantity and it is amazing. Flavours that don't exist in supermarket teas.

I drink more wine than beer, some single malt perhaps. I roast my own coffee and am really enjoying the new world of flavours that exist with freshly roasted, freshly ground coffee.

Recently bought a 5 tap kegerator with dual pressure capability with plans to have soda water and sparkling mineral water on tap permanently.

Actually, looking at the major coffee producers, I'd be more inclined to describe them as the 'third world 'of flavors.
Anyway.

Two and half things.

Thing one and a half. 'How do you roast your coffee? Is an oven good enough or do you need more precise temperature control?
Do coffeesnobs sell a robusta or robusta blend? On special occasions, like every morning I enjoy a brew that makes me all jittery.

Thing two.
Can you share a good mineral water recipe if you have one. I currently use a sugar / bi-carb / and salt blend. Kind of more ghetto Gatorade than Perrier.

Good on ya.

Try the T2 Lapsang Souchong. Your analogy is arse-backwards.

What is T2? :huh:

Actually, looking at the major coffee producers, I'd be more inclined to describe them as the 'third world 'of flavors.
Anyway.

Two and half things.

Thing one and a half. 'How do you roast your coffee? Is an oven good enough or do you need more precise temperature control?
Do coffeesnobs sell a robusta or robusta blend? On special occasions, like every morning I enjoy a brew that makes me all jittery.

Thing two.
Can you share a good mineral water recipe if you have one. I currently use a sugar / bi-carb / and salt blend. Kind of more ghetto Gatorade than Perrier.

Good on ya.

I roast in a Behmor 1600 coffee roaster. Purpose built home roaster. I started off using a popcorn maker but funds became availabel to upgrade and since i am a DIY-tard I wanted something plug and play. Some people roast in a breadmaker with a heatgun pointed at it - the breadmaker simply moves the beans around (kneading cycle) and can withstand the heat. Others use turbo ovens. The Behmor has a number of programs that allow you to modify the heating during the roasting process.

There is currently 1 robusta bean in the green beanbay section, 2.5kg minimum buy. I've not gone down this path but then I'm not a true coffeesnob as my roaster isn;t couple to a computer via a USB datalogger than monitors the temperatures and plots graphs and my coffee machine/grinder setup can be bought from most small eletrical retailers and didn't cost more than my car. :p

I start roasting, set a timer on my phone as the first 10-12 minutes I don;t need to be there, then wait/watch and listen to the beans and hit the cooling cycle when I am happy with the beans. Very easy.

Mineral water - probably showing (when don't I) my nerdy chemistry side but i looked at the mineral content of San Pellegrino and made up a concoction that matched using my rainwater as the base so if you used beersmith or something similar it should be quite easy. The CaCO3 doesn't dissolve immediately but as the pH drops due to the other salts dissolving and CO2 dissolving which produces carbonic acid and further reduces the pH. I think the 'recipe' I used is in a thread on sparkling mineral water but I can't find it at the moment.

coffee - finally got an espresso machine for fathers day

Gin n tonic with tonnes of lime and tonic (and tonnes of gin for that matter :mellow: ) any softdrink in our house is soda stream (for tight arse and rare occasion reasoning)

water (brita filter - we live in adelaide so unfiltered tap water is outa the question)

port

and after a big night on anything - plenty of gatorade

I like vodka with most things, even plain with just ice. Might try it with some dry vermouth this weekend whilst peeling off snappy catchphrases and one liners.
When shopping at Dans, I go for 42 Below or Ketel One. Maby Finlandia if just mixing.
What do you like?
Costco's private label vodka (Kirkland branded vodka 1.75L $89.99) is allegedly grey goose vodka repackaged. Apparently good stuff. Unfortunately Costco australia isn't a touch on what it is in the rest of the world from all reports ie savings aren't anywhere near as good. Look at a price list http://www.buckscoop.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=18228 and you'll see prices are similar for most items.

Gin & tonic. My brother is a flight attendant and is kind enough to get me 1L bottles of duty-free Tanqueray 10 for $35. Such a nice fella.

Sake
Wine
Tonic water (from mhb) - often but not always mixed with tanqueray
Martinis - wet and dirty with tanq, drier and with a twist for hendricks

soda/sparkling water about 2-4lt a day and some times sake or rum(cachasa)

If it is alcoholic we are talking about then I prefer fortefieds

Be it ports, sherry, muscat, tokay etc etc

Spirits don't do it for me, and in general I seem to dislike more wine, than I like.

Alcoholic
I love my scotch, I am currently travelling around the Isle of Islay...Bruichladdich, Laphroaig, Lagavulin but I have a few to go
I have been given a bottle of Canadian Club though and I am looking forward to cracking that

Non-Alcoholic
Dr Pepper *drools*
Cherry Coke *drools*

DrSmurto what espresso machine are you using?
I'm looking at getting a Rocket Giotto. Admittedly a HUGE step up from a LaPavoni Professional but I grew up in a household with an Elektra semi Automatica.

DrSmurto what espresso machine are you using?
I'm looking at getting a Rocket Giotto. Admittedly a HUGE step up from a LaPavoni Professional but I grew up in a household with an Elektra semi Automatica.

Sunbeam (EM6910). Makes good coffee and didn't require a 2nd mortgage. The dual thermoblock makes it easy to punch out several coffees in succession.

The thought process is that not even the blingiest espresso machine worth more than a car can make a good coffee from shit beans so i have spent my time, money and energy on roasting/blending. I was spending $40+/kg on good, freshly roasted beans. Green beans cost $10-12/kg. Roaster cost me $400.

If/when i have the coin then the Giotto is the one i will be going for. Have been drooling over it for a while now.

Back